• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

advice wanted please

Itsliz

Itsliz

Hi everyone
I know I shouldn’t be ashamed to say this but I really am I’m petrified of the dentist I had a routine check up yesterday (which is a huge achievement in itself) it Turns out I need a filling on a front tooth but what I would really like advice On is I found our I also need an extraction or root canal as I have a dead tooth with an abscess so Is it best to Just have it taken out so it’s over with or do I get the root canal so I can keep the tooth it is also a back tooth so might not be noticed if it wasn’t they moneys not an issue so I can go with either

Ok I just don’t know if I’d be able to deal with going back but we will see thank you for the advice

I’m a little confused. Wouldn’t you have to go back either for the extraction or a root canal?

Yeah but what I meant was a root canal if over two - three appointments where as an extraction is only one

Save the tooth if you can

Ok I still don’t know if it’s worth the extra anxiety x

Assuming you've got a nice dentist who is technically competent, having several 'not too bad' appointments where you keep your tooth, will work better at easing your dental anxiety long-term than one single extraction one which can only ever feel like an insult as you lose the tooth. Healing after an extraction (although not necessarily painful) is never particularly pleasant and inconvenient re eating etc
Also if your tooth is firmly rooted rather than badly decayed down, the extraction may not be particularly quick either.

Back