• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid i'll get the mother of all panic attacks

A

AnxiousThesia

It's been a few days since i last posted, i haven't gone to have my teeth removed. And because of my insurance i have to find a new surgeon. Which actually makes me a bit more comfortable. Becausse i don't think the consultation with the one i went to was thourough enough.

Anyway, my anxiety over the anesthetics has gone down a teeny tiny bit. From what everybody says, despite having palpitations I look healthy enough to take it. And also that 99.999 of the time, anesthetics area breeze. Which at first didn't help me much, but as the time went on I calmed down. A user said thinking of the people who get major major operations like with the heart or brain who take the anesthetics and make it out alive perfectly. Which helped a lot too. Especially since i'm only getting impacted wisdom teeth removed.

Anyway, from what i'm told, the scariest part is right before going under. And the original intent of this post was to ask for a walkthrough of how the operation starts, despite me calming down quite a bit. I'm afraid i'll have what the title implies, "The mother of all panic attacks" It's been such a long time since I've had anything like this done, and despite of all the reassurance I think the thought of finally getting this done and being there would just freak me out.

Are there any special procedures for people who are extremely anxious like myself? In the consultation, the surgeon and another person who was with him was told multiple times that I was anxious about the situation, but they didn't really say anything about it. Just the same light reassurance that "It'll be nothin'".

Sorry if this isn't in the right part of the forum.

Anxiousthesia,

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better about the anesthetics.. Great job of trying to let your dental team know how anxious you were but it seems like you didn't feel quite fully heard or validated and they just kind of skimmed over the anxious part s.

It seems you are comfortable with the idea of seeking a new surgeon and going for another consult and really putting your anxiety and concerns on the table and that is really key and hopefully you will get a team that will really hone in on this and answer all your questions and concerns.

I also know when I have unanswered questions and concerns that would lead me to google and ruminate on all possibilities but the more I knew from those caring from me and the more they listened and understood me the better I felt.. So... heres to hoping you get a great team who will really listen , care and explain things. the whole way!

I'm not sure of any special procedures but the last time i went under ( it wasn't for dental but same going under and drugs used as many explained here) I put my anxiety out there, they wrote "very anxious" on my chart so everyone knew. and I told them to tell me when I was going out. they said we're giving you a little medicine. and I was out and done. They were all very nice and answered my questions before and really reassured. They also had lavender essential oil which was nice.

I suffer from severe panic attacks, rapid heart rate and very high blood pressure. 3 months ago I was put under general sedation to have 2 molars removed. I was so nervous!!!! Honestly though it was all for nothing. The doctor came in, gave me a shot in the arm and the next thing I knew I was walking out to the car with my husband holding my arm. Ive have teeth removed before and this was by far the best way to do it.

Back