• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid of root canal failure and crown lenghening

Aria

Aria

Hello all!

I had a root canal done on a back molar 10 days ago and am still feeling severe sensitivity on it. Even brushing that tooth causes pain. Anyway, the dentist filled that tooth with a temporary filling and told me that I need a crown lengthening procedure done before a crown can be fitted. I called the day after I got the root canal done and the nearest appointment available was in 3 weeks! I was told that after that, I will have to wait an additional 6-8 weeks before I can even get a temporary crown put on. I am scared because when I got my root canal, I had to sign a paper acknowledging that I *had* to get a crown on within 30 days or the risk of my root canal failing (due to breakage or the temp filling coming out) increases a lot. Is it normal to have to wait 2 months to get a temporary crown on a root canaled molar? I would love to get the crown sooner, but the crown lengthening procedure is causing all of the delay.

My last root canal took a while to settle down so my dentist preferred to wait before restoring the tooth. I think you just need to be very careful to not chew hard or sticky things.