• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After 14 years im heading in

S

Sparky

First off i must say this forum has provided a lot of support that my friends and family really have not provided. I have a fear of dentists, doctors, etc etc etc. I'm sure many of you have a similar phobia of white coats and needles.

I was told some 14 years ago after breaking a tooth that i needed a root canal and to have my lower wisdom teeth removed. No Problem. Well there was a problem after i got in the char to have the root canal done i was holding the assitants hand and hurting her and shaking uncontrollably. I ended up in the hall outside the office shaking and crying..

moving ahead years later to the last year or so. well my wisdom teeth came in. top ones are good, bottom ones well one is impacted but both sides caused decay and breaking of both teeth in front of the 3rd molars. I managed through pain and infections never wanting to go to the dentist because i was too afraid. the last two weeks have brought infections, extreme pain and a trip to my local office. after taking 2 courses of antibiotics and marginal results i have elected to have my oral surgeon remove 6 teeth from my lower jaw. all teeth are being removed because of decay, and impaction of the 3rd molar on one side.

im terrified but ive had enough. i have an appointment with my regular doctor to see if i can get some Ativan. my friend gave me some for my consultation and after getting rid of the anxiety that way i would have let them go ahead with the x rays etc.

My appointment is Friday at 12:30 i just cant deal with the pain, swelling, inflamation and time off of work because i didnt take care of my teeth.

ill let you all know how it turns out and im sure after reading all the posts here ill be fine. :hidesbehindsofa:

i just wanted to add a note after posting this.. im not a little wimp hiding in a corner, i work on fire trucks, industrial equipment and high voltage electrical systems.. but this one thing can bring me to my knees.. so if you're someone like me reading this its time to get over it. and get the work done. i know it sucks its not fun and it sucks again. but just do it. the pain, discomfort, swelling, infections and taking days off work because you have a bad tooth or teeth.. get over it.

Last edited:
Hi Sparky and welcome!

This does suck and you are awesome for facing it. I feel the same anger that you do, and saying it helps. It takes a while to get over it, but you can, and you will be in a much better place.

Good vibes for you on Friday!
Let us know how it goes.

:welcome: Sparky!

This dental phobia is all consuming and pays no attention to age, gender or career - you have done well, taking the first step.

Dentistry has changed so much over the years but our imagination is one of the phobias best friends.

You will be posting a :jump: on Friday ........... ;)

Good luck for Friday Sparky, you will feel great once you've done it ;D

alright guys im nervous like no other the night before, i got the confirmation phone call and i didnt chicken out and say no.

i did take another short step in the right direction i saw my regular doctor on my new plan (whole different terrifying story) but i did tell him that i have a bad problem with anxiety with medical professionals and he prescribed some Ativan. I used Ativan before just to get in the chair for the exam.

hopefully i can get some sleep tonight my appt is at 12:30pm ill let you all know how it goes

Deep breathing helps me calm down. I know how awful and scary it feels, but it will be ok.

Sending good vibes to you!

Good luck Sparky!

I just did it!. i just got home from the oral surgeon with a little baggie with my 6 teeth in it. after having this done with iv sedation it was no big deal. they started with nitrous.. then the iv and then they just went for it. ididnt feel any pain.. i was conscious a couple tiems but not freaking out, i was just awar of what they were doing. from my perspective it too about 3 minutes once they started.. turns out it was closer to an hour. but hte people at Dr Darmstats office were very nice and professional

im glad its over. at the moment i have no pain, my mom is out picking up pain pills anyways. i have this feeling i wont need them but we'll see how the night progresses :cheers:

Good Look Sparky. Hope everythings ok.

Dave:thumbsup:

Good Look Sparky. Hope everythings ok.

Dave:thumbsup:

i wish i would have done this years ago. the pain from the swelling and infections is way worse than what i feel right now.. the novocaine is wearing off. but even without the vicodin its sore but not bad.. if that makes any kind of sense.and no swelling at all..

they told me after because i went in with an active chipmunk looking jaw infection that they put a small incision in it to let it drain. that seems to have made a big difference.

i cant belive i waited this long for this

Good for you! Speedy recovery!:jump:

Back