• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After 15 years of true neglect and fear, I have made the first step: THE APPOINTMENT

H

HELPME

Well I took the first step by calling my only dentist I have went to since i was like 10-12, as seen in my previous thread, I have had a fear and I need to get ride of it. Problem is I still dont have insurance and will be paying out of pocket but I am blessed to have a great paying job now. Please if you have any tips to help let me know. I will have my Ipod with playing relaxing music, its just laying back on the chair that gets me, with all the blood rushing to your head.

Re: After 15 years of true neglect and fear, I have made the first step: THE APPOINTMENT

I know how much courage it takes to make that first step. Good for you!

I really hate laying back in that chair, too. I asked my hygienist if she had any sort of cushion or anything for my head, and she brought in a little bean bag pillow. It helps raise my head up a bit and makes it all a little less scary. I know they probably have it for the kids, but hey, whatever works!

Good luck to you!

Re: After 15 years of true neglect and fear, I have made the first step: THE APPOINTMENT

Hi HELPME

Well done for making that appointment, you are right it is the first step.

When is your appointment? Does the dentist know of your fear?

ipod to play relaxing music ........ blow relaxing music, I found dance music with the heaviest beat and had it turned up as loud as I could manage .... that worked for me - the dentist said he enjoyed it too ;)

Ask your dentist to let you sit up a bit, I must admit I have never had blood rushing to my head, I wouldn't like that ether!

Just take slow baby steps, make sure you are comfortable with what they are doing and you will start to build up trust again.

:)

Yea !! Right on for taking the first BIG step and making an appointment.

My Ipod has helped me through alot of appointments, just make sure it's charged!! hahah I went once and it died 5 minutes in.

Make sure you explain your fears to the dentist, most dentist will do whatever they can to keep you comfortable in their care!!

The first time I had to go back valium was a life saver!! I was calm and collected, still a bit scared..but I was in control of myself.
And now I dont even need it!! Of course it's still scary but I'm much stronger than I was back then. The more you go the stronger you will get.

Good luck with your treatment! I hope everything goes without a hitch!!:)

Back