• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After 5 years… 2 days to go…

32andTerrified

As the title suggests, I have booked an appointment with the dentist for the first time in 5 years.

I have been reading posts on here for weeks. It has really gone me the courage to take those first steps.

I have always suffered from anxiety, which was magnified by a negative experience the last time I went to the dentist.

I’m hoping I won’t have too many issues. However, after 5 years of absence, I’m not too hopeful!

I brush twice a day, floss at night and use mouthwash between meals.

Not sure how much sleep I will get between now and my appointment at 4:30 on Tuesday!

Wish me luck!

Hey 32andTerrified:welcome:,

first of all: well done on scheduling and thank you for stepping by and sharing about your journey! :)
I will keep my fingers crossed for you on Tuesday. If it helps, not having been for five years doesn't mean you will need a lot of treatment. It sounds like your home care is good and the rest is a lot about diet. You may be surprised about how little treatment you may need. For me, after three years of not having seen a dentist I still haven't needed anything beyond a cleaning.

Is there anything in particular that makes you feel anxious about Tuesday?

All the best wishes

@Enarete thank you!

Previous experiences of dentists have just been so negative. The last dentist I saw was so rude and obnoxious. He just wanted to get me in and out of the chair as quickly as possible. I guess with not going in so long, thoughts race through your mind… what if all my teeth are bad, what if they all need pulling, what if the dentist is really judgemental, etc.

I have done lots of research and the dentist I am seeing has lots of positive reviews, so hopefully I will be ok!

Less than 24 hours to go now. I’m in the UK, so it is 9pm. I’m sure I will see every hour through the night as I won’t be able to sleep with anxiety!

😭

@32andTerrified so sorry to hear that the last dentist you saw was rude and obnoxious :(. One of the best tips I've heard is to treat your first appointment with a new dentist like a job interview, where YOU get the chance to see whether you like the dentist and want to hire them. There's a handy Tips page here:

The positive reviews are a really good sign, so fingers crossed they're "the one" :thumbsup: . Best of luck for today!!!

I DID IT!!

There was a delay, so had to sit in the waiting room for a good half an hour.

I let the dentist now how nervous I was. She could not have been nicer!

I need 2 fillings and a clean…. That’s it!

Never felt so confident!

Congratulations! Great to hear that it went so well. Your new dentist sounds like a keeper :cloud9: . Hopefully you'll get a good catch-up sleep tonight. Well done!!!

I DID IT!!

There was a delay, so had to sit in the waiting room for a good half an hour.

I let the dentist now how nervous I was. She could not have been nicer!

I need 2 fillings and a clean…. That’s it!

Never felt so confident!

This is so lovely! Glad you liked the dentist and need hardly any work! Please keep us posted and may you only have good experiences from now on! :)

Back