• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After dental surgery, still not feeling right?

H

Hoolicatt

Hey folks. I'm new, but looking for answers, so here is my backstory:

A week ago I could barely open my jaw, I set a dentists appointment however, the night before that my face blew up in swelling. Not just normal swelling either. My face was rock hard and huge. I went to Urgent Care.

I was admitted to the ER 'due the size of my face' and eventually transferred to another hospital 35 minutes away that had an oral surgical team. When I arrived there, I was told I'd be having an operation. I was a little thrown, but I usually just let the doctors do their thing! After some painkillers (I accepted mainly to calm my nerves) I was admitted and placed in ER Trauma for a few hours.

After a few hours of basic tests, and a CT scan I was placed in the ICU because my swelling was so bad that my airway was beginning to close. I would have to wait another night for surgery.

I began IV antibiotics, the first of many bags. The next night I finally had my surgery. They removed 2 teeth, my lower right wisdom tooth, and the molar in front of it, and drained my cheek. When I awoke I was on a breathing tube due o my swelling and had 2 penrose drains sewn into my mouth.

I remained on the tube another day and a half, and in the ICU another 3 days total. Eventually I was transferred to the Surgical recovery wing for another night before having my drains removed and being discharged.

6 and a half days and 21 bags of IV antibiotics later, I was home. I was prescribed more antibiotics, painkillers (which I have not been taking as I have no pain, only numbness), and an oral rinse.

My problems don't seem to end there though...

Now; I'm always tired! I've been having trailing vision and spells of dizziness. It's hard to focus on menial tasks, walking is hard, and I'm generally weak. My chest feels tight often, my heart rate slowed. I return to work in geez, 7 hours now and I'm just not ready! But, I have no choice, honestly... I'm broke!

Are these symptoms normal? Or is something new going on? Will this feeling go away? How long? What can I do to make this transition easier? Are the antibiotics holding me back? Hurting me even?

I'm just lost here, this all happened so fast, and I feel entirely thrown and just unable to live my life!

What you have gone through sounds like a nightmare! Have you called the hospital back and explained how you feel? That would be the first thing I'd do...Ask them if it is normal to feel ill yet..If not, then I'd go back for a checkup..No use suffering especially since you have to go to work..Hope it all work out for you...

Hey folks. I'm new, but looking for answers, so here is my backstory:

A week ago I could barely open my jaw, I set a dentists appointment however, the night before that my face blew up in swelling. Not just normal swelling either. My face was rock hard and huge. I went to Urgent Care.

I was admitted to the ER 'due the size of my face' and eventually transferred to another hospital 35 minutes away that had an oral surgical team. When I arrived there, I was told I'd be having an operation. I was a little thrown, but I usually just let the doctors do their thing! After some painkillers (I accepted mainly to calm my nerves) I was admitted and placed in ER Trauma for a few hours.

After a few hours of basic tests, and a CT scan I was placed in the ICU because my swelling was so bad that my airway was beginning to close. I would have to wait another night for surgery.

I began IV antibiotics, the first of many bags. The next night I finally had my surgery. They removed 2 teeth, my lower right wisdom tooth, and the molar in front of it, and drained my cheek. When I awoke I was on a breathing tube due o my swelling and had 2 penrose drains sewn into my mouth.

I remained on the tube another day and a half, and in the ICU another 3 days total. Eventually I was transferred to the Surgical recovery wing for another night before having my drains removed and being discharged.

6 and a half days and 21 bags of IV antibiotics later, I was home. I was prescribed more antibiotics, painkillers (which I have not been taking as I have no pain, only numbness), and an oral rinse.

My problems don't seem to end there though...

Now; I'm always tired! I've been having trailing vision and spells of dizziness. It's hard to focus on menial tasks, walking is hard, and I'm generally weak. My chest feels tight often, my heart rate slowed. I return to work in geez, 7 hours now and I'm just not ready! But, I have no choice, honestly... I'm broke!

Are these symptoms normal? Or is something new going on? Will this feeling go away? How long? What can I do to make this transition easier? Are the antibiotics holding me back? Hurting me even?

I'm just lost here, this all happened so fast, and I feel entirely thrown and just unable to live my life!

hi,

I would go back & double check but sounds like you have anxiety so to put your mind at rest make the call :dunno:

I'm supposed to have a check in at the clinic on Friday, however due to my returning work schedule, I'm rescheduling that for Tuesday. If I still feel like this, I'll make sure to bring it up.

after some research I've realized that I am experiencing signs of Vertigo, and that many oral surgery patients have suffered from it. What I can't find is information on causes and cures. Also, some complaints took place one day after surgery, while others complained 2 months after. I seriously hope I don't fit into the latter scenario here.

Vertigo is caused by something wrong in the inner ear canal. It can happen to you once or you can have it for a long time. When I suffered my first attack of vertigo I was driving to town..I had to pull over cause my eyes were "shaking" I got hot and started sweating and got nauseous...I thought I was having a heart attack..It went away but came back later that night. I went to the E.R and was tested and admitted..I now take my pills where ever I go just in case.It is not fun to experience...I don't think there is a "cure" but there is medication..And there are different types of vertigo.

It could be that my swelling has advanced into my ear canal and is messing with my balance or causing bigger issues here. All I know is that I'm 2 hours into my first shift back and my vision has been trailing like crazy. I'm taking my first break early, try and combat this terrible feeling, but I doubt it'll do much for me.

I'm legit starting to worry about this now, these symptoms don't seem normal, and I truly don't want to have to go back to urgent care, especially after this week.

I would you cannot carry on like this you are no good at work either to yourself or others. You need to know what is wrong or if this is normal. We cannot answer you on here about this, we can only advise that you please go back to the ER for you own sake and piece of mind.

Please go and get seen and let them advise/treat you. Good luck I really hope you feel better soon. Do let us know how you get on. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I agree with Carole wholeheartedly.

Stop googling and stop guessing. You do not feel right. Go and see an expert.

Hope you get better soon :)

Coolin

I know, after a 6 day stay in the ICU with a surgery and no insurance I doubt I can afford another er trip. I was just hoping perhaps that someone else had experienced these types of issues after oral surgery, but oddly with the large percentage of abscess surgeries that take place on can't seem to find info on anyone who's even gone through a similar surgery. Perhaps I'm luckier than I thought to have survived such a bad infection.

I have a check in at the clinic in a few days, if I don't feel up to work til then, theyll just have to understand. If I experience any worse symptoms, I'll head to the er.

Thanks everyone who posted though, I appreciate the help, in the least to alleviate my anxiety and fears.

I'll keep this updated as things occur.

Back