• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

after extraction i can only eat on other side of mouth

J

jules71

I had my upper wisdom tooth extracted about 8 months ago as i was wobbly, after it was extracted it felt uncomfortable not like any other extraction i have had however i got it checked and was told it was fine, the 2 teeth next to this empty socket have both had root canal treatment. however i have a constant sensation in this area which is so hard to describe sometimes its like i have a huge tooth protruding from that part of my mouth, at other times it feels like i have sticky toffee al stuck to that area, the top inside of my gum in this area is continually red and inflamed, i do not eat on this side of my mouth because of this horrible sensation, i use dental sticks to clean inbetween teeth several times a day i use corsodyl mouth wash, duraphat toothpaste, i only eat soft foods as problems in other parts of mouth and terrified of loosing more teeth, my dentist has said she could remove these 2 teeth meaning in total i would have lost the last 3 teeth on my upper gum but this may not cure the pain and sensation i am feeling and has therefore referred my to the dental hospital but having to wait several months on an appointment, i am terrified of having to get dentures as i have an unreasonable phobia of choking and i know i could not cope with dentures and implants are just too expensive but this constant pain and uncomfortable feeling is taking over my life and i am now so so so miserable. can anyone help?

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

If you would end up with three teeth missing at the top it would depend where they are but you may be able to have a bridge put in to fill the gaps. These are fixed in and don't come out, they feel like your own teeth. I was referred the dental hospital a couple of years ago and I saw someone within three months so you might not have to wait too long. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

If you would end up with three teeth missing at the top it would depend where they are but you may be able to have a bridge put in to fill the gaps. These are fixed in and don't come out, they feel like your own teeth. I was referred the dental hospital a couple of years ago and I saw someone within three months so you might not have to wait too long. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

It is my wisdom tooth and the 2 next 2 it that would be missing, so the last 3, does a bridge not need an end tooth to clip onto? thank you so much for replying.

I think a bridge might not be possible then. I have managed to eat okay with only one big tooth on the top and bottom of my mouth so you might find you are okay. It is only like you are losing two teeth really because the wisdoms don't really do much other than cause us trouble. Have you discussed your options with your dentist. I have one bridge that is only supported by one tooth.

I wish you good luck and all the best for your appointment :butterfly:

Back