• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After months of anxiety missing appointments I'm now having these pesky teeth removed under GA

T

TheGeek

After months of anxiety missing appointments I'm now having these pesky teeth removed under GA

If you read my post history you'll see how long I've been dealing with these rotten teeth in my mouth. 2 upper wisdom teeth are rotten below the gumline, another tooth with a huge hole, and another thats half gone. That's 4.

The dentist suggested I have the 2 lowers removed too. That makes it 6. Lucky me. I'm not too bothered about the wisdoms, they're mostly useless.

I finally bit the bullet after my Dad's death this week and decided to get them done under GA. I'm aware there is a little more risk, but if I don't do it this way I will likely never have them removed. And that is more of a worry to me.

I've had GA once to have a testicle removed. I woke up feeling crap, and took me a whole day to recover. But, I'm willing to go through that. If I don't wake up, I'll never notice ha ha (you have to joke).

Anyway had GA? I'd love it if you shared your experience.

Last edited:
Re: After months of anxiety missing appointments I'm now having these pesky teeth removed under GA

I had full extractions under GA. It was done in a hospital, as I think I recall yours will be too.

I too was scared of not waking up, but the chances of that are minutely tiny! And of course I did wake up. For me it was like being woken up from normal sleep - I was even having a little dream right before I came to. I was very groggy at first, but also very relieved it was over. There was a lot of bleeding (I'm sure you won't have as much bleeding with only 6 extractions compared to all of them) but it calmed down fairly quickly, and I was too sleepy and groggy to care at all.

I waited in recovery for a bit, with people monitoring my blood pressure etc, and when the bleeding had calmed down I was wheeled back to the hospital room. I was there for a couple of hours, having my blood pressure checked regularly. They use local anasthetic too, so my mouth was numb and I wasn't in pain. I drank a lot of water. There was still some bleeding but only a little bit. After a couple of hours I felt well enough to clean up and go home with a family member. I walked out of the hospital. I felt a little bit...zoned out? A tiny bit detached from reality, I'd say. But that was all. I slept like a baby that night. I felt pretty tired the next day, but other than that I was fine.

I have anxiety too, and the period before the extractions, with all the worrying and panicking, was BY FAR worse than the period after.

Back