• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After wisdom teeth surgery

G

Former Member
Hi all,

Yesterday at 10 am here in the USA i had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out plus one molar next to them on the left.

I am very very swollen in the face and very very sore and my wounds are still bleeding quite a bit. :cry:

I was told to ice pack my face for 10 mins on and 10 mins off pretty much all day yesterday but i had an IV sedation and was unable to do this as the sedation made me very groggy and made me throw up.

My questions for you all is should i still be bleeding almost 24 hours after, do you think i should ice pack my face today instead and do think i had an allergic reaction to the IV?

I know so many questions i am just in alot of pain and very worried the fact i didnt care for the oral sergeon that did my operation all he seemed to care about was getting his money!

Thanks for all your support
~ lonewolf :confused:

PS:

Should part of my toungue still be numb 24 hours after the surgary it fels like a patch of it is? Thanks for all your help!

Bleeding "quite a bit" is not normal and you should contact your dentist ASAP.

Swelling is normal, ice pack yesterday would have helped, it probably won't today but there's no harm in trying.

Numbness in your tongue is a common side effect but should pass quickly. Again you should mention this to the dentist. Allergic reactions to IV drugs are very very rare, so I don't think this is a plausible explanation.

Well done for getting through it. :)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the oral surgeon and your pain :cry: - I hope you'll be feeling better soon.
Please get the bleeding checked, and let us know if things are OK.

Hi all,

Thank you for your quick replies and kind words :-* , since i wrote this morning i have started to feel better and have started to feel hungry again so i have been sipping on juice and soup. :cheers:

When i woke up from the IV sedation i did have gauze in my mouth i took that out when i got home under the care and instructions of my husband who went with me. :XXLhug:

My dentist did an after care call this morning to see how i was doing much to my surprise i personally didnt think he cared that much about me.

I told him that i was still bleeding and he suggested that i try biting down very gently on a warm tea bag - has anyone else heard of this?

In anycase the tea bag did help stop the bleeding i had and i no longer have the gross taste in my mouth which helped me feel better. :drool:

I have also started warm salt water rinses after eating and are rinsing the wounds very very gently and not forcefully expelling the water to the instructions of my dentist.

I was pretty much out of it yesterday all i wanted to do was sleep inbetween throwing up that ice packs were the last thing on my mind.

My face is still pretty swollen up i look like a chipmunk but the ice packs do seem to help the pain and stiffness in my face and jaw temporeraly.

I forgot to ask my dentist about the numb spot on my toungue if that hasnt passed in the next 24 hours i will call him back and ask him.

At least my main concern the blood in my mouth is taken care of in the mean time my toungue doesnt really bother me just feels really weird.

Thanks to you all :grouphug:

~lonewolf

Many thanks for letting us know :) - it's great to hear that you're feeling better now!
Any problems, just give us a shout!

Hi all,

I seem to be going thru phases of feeling ok and then feeling like a truck hit me.

It seems like when i first wake up i feel the worst, this afternoon i could bearly open my mouth wide enough for a teaspoon for my soup i eventually gave up on that and ended up putting it in a cup.

I have no problems drinking from a glass which is good. I even had to melt icecream in the microwave before i could even attempt to eat that.

My face is still very swollen it is hard to smile or laugh and in some cases turn my head.

I am guessing that the pressure and throbbing i feel when i bend over to pick something up or sit up from laying down is from the swelling?

From your professional ophions when would you suggest your patients resume regular brushing of the teeth?

Right now i can bearly open my mouth wide enough for a toothbrush and have been doing regular salt rinses and rubbing toothpaste on my teeth with a finger really really gently just to get something on my teeth and to help with the dog breath taste in my mouth. As far as i can tell the bleeding has stopped though.

My toungue spot that was still numb seems to have woken up alittle more the spot is right near the back molar next to the wisdom that was also removed so i think part of the problem is feeling the missing tooth which feels really werid!

In your professional ophions how long do you tell your patients to expect swelling and how long before they will feel well enough to resume normal activity and etc...?

Just curious to see what you would say if i had visited your offices.

Thank you for all your help and support after my op all your support and reassurance is helping me to grow stronger every day. :grouphug:

~lonewolf

Ps: how long does it take for holes to close? I am dying for a huge steak and chinese food - lol! ;)

something weird is going on here! i post and a certain word comes out wrong...

tea-spoon

[Admin's note: teaspoon came out as teathingy because cock, poon, and something called "shlung" - don't ask, is that an American expression? - were set to change to "thingy" on the "dirty words" list... I've disabled poon and cock now, because they form parts of other words - like teaspoon ;D. Actually, one of the first posts I wrote contained the word "bitching", which was promptly translated to "female doging", LOL :p)

Friday night... I suppose everyone's been out partying, lol!

Here's a link with some detailed post-op instructions:

There's also a really good list of soft foods here, in case you get bored with microwaved icecream :):

Hope things are beginning to improve :)!!

Hi all,

Thank you for the 2 links you provided especilly the soft food ideas i really needed that one i was starting to get really down about my limited selection i can eat that has given me a few new ideas i can try to ward off the depression :)

I also needed to read the post op care sheet too i wasnt told 99% of that in fact i was bearly told anything about post op care other than salt rinses and ice packs!

I am feeling better on the inside now but my jaw is still stiff and am still unable to hardly open my mouth but the pain is starting to subside slowly,i can move my cheeks alittle more today so i have half my smile back its hard to laugh though its tough trying to keep a straight face when all you really wanna do is crack up! :p

I will keep you all up to date on how i am doing thanks for all your support and help

~lonewolf :grouphug:

Sorry for the late post, I was absolutely knackered last night ;D

Going from my personal experience of post wisdom teeth extraction, the swelling reaches a crescendo about day 3, after that it gets better :)

Chlorhexidine mouthwash is a handy adjunct if you can't get a toothbrush in, but try to brush as best as you can.

Try to gently keep stretching your mouth open to get it moving again, it's tempting just to not open it wide at all, but that can lead to permanent limitated opening. (Trismus).

Hi all,

I have a concern about my healing processes i have made an appointment with the office that did my surgary which is tomorrow afternoon but am wondering what you folks have to say in the mean time.

My swelling in my face was going down but over night it seems my right cheek has flared up quite abit and feels like it has a large fairly hard lump in the muscle in the middle of the cheek with the swelling around that the right side of my face is quite puffy and muscle is quite stiff from the swelling to move. :scared:

The only thing i have done differently in the last day is a hot pack and got "that time of the month" and followed your idea to gently get moving again - on this i did not go nuts or even exert myself into any pain would this cause this or does it sound like an infection? :confused:

If it wasnt for this set back i would be feeling alot better than the last time i posted and have been following your suggestions which seem to be helping me heal quickly, thanks for all your kind words and helpful ideas.

~lonewolf :grouphug:

Back