All my cavities filled. Residual anxiety.

T

TundraBaby

Just had my second round of fillings today. In a way, I'm relieved, but I'm left with a few lingering anxieties, which is typical for me. The dentist left me off by saying that one of the teeth I just got filled "may still need a root canal" and I need to keep an eye on it. Knowing myself and my tendency to over-exaggerate all my symptoms in my head, it's pretty much a recipe for disaster to leave me in charge of monitoring my own tooth. My next scheduled appointment is for a routine cleaning in 6 months.

Besides that, I have a very very bad fear of shots. I don't have a fear of needles, more of a fear of injections. Substances going into my body that are gonna make it do weird things. I had to get two shots for my procedure today. The first one was painful but inconsequential, and the second one launched me into a panic attack. I cried, hyperventilated, and had to take a pretty long break. But after that, we were able to get it done.

The worst part of this entire experience is a newfound anxiety surrounding my teeth that I'd never struggled with before. I have OCD, and for me that usually means that once I have something to worry about, I worry about it forever.

Now, my day to day life is inhibited by obsessive thoughts of how many times I should be brushing my teeth, when I should brush, how sensitive my teeth are, if they hurt, etc.

Hopefully that's the worst of it though. Fingers crossed.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi TundraBaby,

sounds like your teeth are good on one hand, but the whole experience offered some new topics to worry about when it comes to your obsessive thoughts. You seem to know yourself pretty well and I suspect you are used to deal with it and maybe have some strategies.
When we are very stressed, anxieties and worries can get worse, so it only makes sense that there is a bit of a residual anxiety after this experience. I would expect it to get less over time as you get more distance from the last appointment.

You mentioned being insecure about brushing. Would you like me to link our article where we talk about these things? In reality, a lot around decay has to do with the way of eating and not with the frequency of brushing.

All the best wishes

T

TundraBaby

Hi TundraBaby,

sounds like your teeth are good on one hand, but the whole experience offered some new topics to worry about when it comes to your obsessive thoughts. You seem to know yourself pretty well and I suspect you are used to deal with it and maybe have some strategies.
When we are very stressed, anxieties and worries can get worse, so it only makes sense that there is a bit of a residual anxiety after this experience. I would expect it to get less over time as you get more distance from the last appointment.

You mentioned being insecure about brushing. Would you like me to link our article where we talk about these things? In reality, a lot around decay has to do with the way of eating and not with the frequency of brushing.

All the best wishes

Hello! Yes, I would love to read that article!