• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

All On 4 Upper & Lower Implants

S

scannii

I suffer with anxiety and PTSD and needed fixed implants, so I went for all on 4 teeth in a day. 5 days ago I had all my remaining teeth removed and completed 10 implants, 6 on upper and 4 on lower. I decided to have it all done in one day which meant the treatment lasted 7 hours and I’m glad I did it this way. Most dentists suggest having upper done first then going back for lower later but that’s no good if you suffer like I do with anxiety because you’d delay going back and it would cost you more in sedation costs. I hadn’t found anyone else on here who had it done in one hit and I just wanted to assure them that having it all done in one go under sedation (which for me was 7 hours surgery with 4 hours sedation) is definitely the way to go, if you can. You don’t wake up in the middle of anything and the key thing is to build a trust with your sedationist. All I remember is gesturing a thumbs up to my sedationist as I woke up. I woke up feeling relaxed and relieved all the pulling and implanting was over with because I’d built it all up so much more than I should have done. The remaining 3 hours of those 7 hours is just fitting with the technician which is nothing, you’re all numb and relaxed so you just lay there and happily take it. Please feel free to ask any questions if you need support I’m happy to share my experience to help others. :)

I am so glad your surgery went well! You were very brave! I am with you on that, as I would rather get as much done in one visit if possible. Just the anxiety of driving to the dentist/surgeon and sitting in the waiting room drains me. I am having two separate surgeries done in a few weeks. They were able to schedule me for both in the same appointment. One is an implant and supplemental bone grafting on a lower molar that was extracted 4 months ago, and the other is extraction, bone grafting and bone wrap, and implant on my front upper tooth. I am not getting IV sedation, unfortunately, as it is a bit out of my proce range at the moment, but am getting nitrous, and am debating asking for an oral sedative as well. That might help the waiting room nerves

Bravo! This is one of the best DFC posts of the year.

Get ready for wonderfully crunchy and pointy and cold foods, because you’re life is about to get better.

? for courage

I am so glad your surgery went well! You were very brave! I am with you on that, as I would rather get as much done in one visit if possible. Just the anxiety of driving to the dentist/surgeon and sitting in the waiting room drains me. I am having two separate surgeries done in a few weeks. They were able to schedule me for both in the same appointment. One is an implant and supplemental bone grafting on a lower molar that was extracted 4 months ago, and the other is extraction, bone grafting and bone wrap, and implant on my front upper tooth. I am not getting IV sedation, unfortunately, as it is a bit out of my proce range at the moment, but am getting nitrous, and am debating asking for an oral sedative as well. That might help the waiting room nerves
I agree with you, it’s the waiting around that makes it worse. You just want to get in there and get on with it or run away! I’ve never had nitrous I don’t think but I’m sure they will be able to give you an oral sedative if you’re not having IV sedation. Communication with them and building trust is absolutely the key thing. Hope you’re seen real quick.

Bravo! This is one of the best DFC posts of the year.

Get ready for wonderfully crunchy and pointy and cold foods, because you’re life is about to get better.

? for courage
Thank you. It wasn’t an easy decision to make. I’ve got very bulky temporaries in at the moment and won’t be able to fully appreciate having a full set until permanent ones are fixed in 6-12 months. I just wanted people to know they can get it all done in one hit and what to expect. I’ve taken 2 weeks off work and I’m on steroids, antibiotics and painkillers every 4 hours and eating only soft foods for 2 weeks but like you say will be worth it in the long run and definitely all worth getting it out the way in one go.

My prediction: next Fourth of July (or local summer holiday for your area), you’ll be eating tortilla chips, ice cream, and other pointy foods without realizing it. It will be here before for you know it.

Hang in there.

Back