• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

All over for now.. :-) (Long essay-type story)

R

Rocky52

Well thats a year of treatment over :) when I say a year of treatment I don't mean every week at the dentist, I mean various different appointments but now my teeth are to the health standard of the dentist. I started my dental journey this year, in February I think it was. On my first appointment I was petrified, I was 16 and hadn't been to the dentist since I was 8. Everything in a dentist scared the crap outta me, even the smell. Anyway, I decided enough was enough..I wanted nice teeth and going to the dentist was the only way I could get it to happen. My first appointment was just a check up, to see what 'damage had been done' by all the sweets and fizzy juice I've had since I was 8. To my surprise there wasn't that much that needed done, in total I needed about 4 fillings, root canal treatment and an extraction (I knew I needed an extraction before I went for my check up because that is what I needed when I was 8.) The dentist was very informitive and helpful on telling me what would be done..I also spoke to her about me not being at the dentist for a while and discussed some of my fears with her..she was very understanding and said she would go through each step with me. She then took me down to the reception to book another appointment where she would start the work (fear was still eating away at me). The appointment was the week after, and I was mega anxious..I smoked about 5 cigarettes before I left (I also brushed my teeth about 4 times because I didn't want to be stinkin of smoke when I went in :confused:) The time had come and I was in the chair, so many things were going through my mind at that point..what if I have a nervous break down, what if I cry, what if I start freaking out? Should I ask her to stop? But no..I said to myself 'calm down, I'm here on my own accord..I'm here to get help not put through torture. Millions of people can do this so why can't I.' My dentist remembered the fears we talked about on my last check up (one of which was receiving L.A) - so she showed me a little tube and explained that it was numbing gel and that once it has been applied I won't feel the injection going in as much. I was literally sweating, she applied the gel and removed the cotton ball to which it was on and I knew what was coming next so i scrunched up my eyes and gripped the chair handles. 15 seconds later 'Right thats that done' I was in shock! I opened my eyes and couldn't believe how painless it was. I felt so much relief after that was done, she told me to go wait in the waiting room until the anasthetic had set in. 5 minutes later I was called back in and she gave me 3 fillings.. It went in so fast I could not believe it! I was out of the chair within 10 minutes feeling great that I defeated part of my fear. I was took back down to the reception to make another appointment..this one was for one filling and root canal treatment. I never really heard of root canal treatment so thought nothing of it, on my return she explained the procedure and so on...as she was talking she took the L.A in her hand. :scared: I was in shock.. and quickly asked her for the numbing gel. She apologized and put the gel on and continued with the injection. Again this one was painless, she done the first filling and then went on to do R.C.T. To be honest it never felt different compared to a filling...although the drilling took a while longer. It was all over within half an hour and I was told to visit my orthadontist (I think that is how you spell it). Anyway a week had gone by and all was well until one night I was eating at a fast food restaurant. As I was chewing I felt a sharp striking pain on the tooth that received R.C.T. I thought maybe it is because I'm still getting used to the deep filling..I chewed again and the pain was worse. Uh oh i thought to myself. I went home that night and took some pain killers and went to bed hoping it would be gone by morning. I woke up with no pain and thought great, it was just a one off..I had some breakfast but no the pain was still there and increasing. I phoned the dental surgery and explained the problem and I was told to get a special medicated mouth wash. I used it as instructed for 5 days but there was no change..I was still in pain. I phoned again and I managed to get an emergency appointment that day. I went over and the dentist had a look, she pushed down on the tooth with the metal hook dentists use and asked me what parts are sore. I told her and she said right, we'll have to take this filling out. I looked at her as if to say 'your joking right?'..Nope..Out came the L.A and she went straight to work (no numbing gel). I flinched a bit but it was over in seconds, she let me sit for a few minutes until I was numbed up and then she drilled away at the filling. I have never felt so much pain in my life.. it was as though my tooth was not numb at all..I was moaning and groaning and she asked me if I was alright..I told her how sore it was and she gave me some more L.A. Again after a few minutes she continued but the pain was still the same! She told me that the tooth may be hyper-sensitive so she put some medicated cream in the hole that was drilled and applied a temp filling. I returned 3 days later with sucess..the pain had gone! And to my eternal credit I didn't need L.A for the temp filling to be taken out and a new permanent one put in. I left all happy, and a few months later I visited my orthadontist..She was also very nice and asked me what it is I don't like about my teeth. I told her I don't like the small gaps and the bottom teeth are a bit slanted. She explained to me the reason for that is they are over-crowded..therefore I would need an extraction (I knew this because my dentist told me before). So back off to the dentist I went (which was 2 fridays ago) only to receive another filling! This didn't really bother me as I had grown used to getting them done this year, but when it came to the extraction my fear came back..this was my biggest fear of the dentist because it was the last thing I got done when I was a kid. But with the help and guidance of my dentist I was through it in no time. I left the dentist that morning over the moon because I knew that was my main journey over for a little while...but as days went on I felt pain in the socket to which I got a tooth extracted. I had read about dry sockets on the internet and done everything I could to avoid the hazards. After a few days of pain I made another appointment to see my dentist (I think she has gotten sick of seeing me lol :p), I explained what the trouble was and she had a look and yes..Dry socket! I thought oh no this is all I need..3-4 weeks of pain. My dentist explained she would put a 'disolving dressing' into the socket. I left and expected the dressing to just clean the socket but no! It took the pain away completely :o I am now over the moon and feel so good about myself for starting my journey and coming close to finishing it..Now all there is left to do is go to the orthadontist and get my braces fitted. It just goes to show even the most scared can over come there fears..even if it does take a year :)

Sorry for it being so long folks, Thanks for reading.

Wow..it sounds like you have come a long way, Rocky!! Proud of ya! I finally got my wisdom teeth out yesterday with L.A. and iv sedation which really helped calm my nerves. I have to admit, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks to everyones help here and knowing I could get through this-I feel so much better. I am in pain esp. on the one side but I am doing everything i can-salt water, relaxing and eating soft foods. I just wanted to thank everyone again and let anyone out there that may be scared of getting their wisdom teeth out know that you can do it-and it will be worth it in the end!!:) :jump:

lba1616 said:
Wow..it sounds like you have come a long way, Rocky!! Proud of ya! I finally got my wisdom teeth out yesterday with L.A. and iv sedation which really helped calm my nerves. I have to admit, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks to everyones help here and knowing I could get through this-I feel so much better. I am in pain esp. on the one side but I am doing everything i can-salt water, relaxing and eating soft foods. I just wanted to thank everyone again and let anyone out there that may be scared of getting their wisdom teeth out know that you can do it-and it will be worth it in the end!!:) :jump:

:p Yes it was a long long journey, but it was all worth it in the end. Just thinking back on the times that I suffered and tried to put up with the dental pain I was having makes me shivver. Wisdom teeth extraction frightens me, very well done to have gone through with it :cheers: Knowing my luck thats what will come next for me :( lol

Also..I know I'm late in saying (I've been quite busy) but Happy New Year to all, a new start and a new journey (of overcoming dental fears :)) All the best for 2007 :jump:

Well done Rocky, You had a few bumps but got there in the end!! congrats :jump: :jump: :jump:

you've done really well!! thats great! xxxx

Thank you all, this forum has been very helpful and supporitve :) :cheers: I'm really confident now concerning dental surgery. I'll post back in February on the finale with my braces being fitted. Just to let everyone know that they can over come their fears, fear is only misunderstanding the situation :p Good luck to everyone this year, stay strong

Back