• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Alternatives to modern dentistry

J

jwdusa

I just got back from my first dentist visit in 8 years or so. Is it truly a "phobia" if your fears are confirmed?

In any event, it got me thinking - which can be a dangerous thing. Supposedly, I have gum disease that needs treatment. Furthermore, it seems that brushing and flossing can't cure or prevent gum disease. Only lots of dentist visits can do that. My experience bears this out. My wife is an oddball. She likes going to the dentist. She brushes her teeth multiple times a day. Yet the gum treatment they want to do to me, they also did on my wife a few years ago. If someone like my wife needs this treatment - it's hopeless.

But I don't think it's hopeless. Did humans evolve, get created, or "intelligently designed" in a fashion that requires dental visits every three months? I don't think so. Here is another theory. Maybe humans didn't originally need dentists because they didn't eat and drink so much sugar and processed/refined food. Well, I haven't eaten meat in maybe ten years. I have a soda maybe once a year. I take no meds at all. I eat only organic food when I can get it. A few years ago, my doctor called me "disgustingly healthy." I am easily in twice as good physical shape now. And for all this, my mouth can't regulate and take care of itself. It needs a dentist. I don't think so.

Where better to ask this question than this forum? Where people already have a vested interest in avoiding the dentist.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips, or resources about natural alternatives to modern dentistry? I found a DRM-crippled ebook by Sandra Senzon titled "Reversing Gum Disease Naturally: A Holistic Home Care Program." It has a few good leads for futher research, but that is about all. She still recommends that nasty gum-ripping procedure. I'm going on an active search for alternatives to this modern, insurance-subsidised torture.

I saw the thread on "Faith Healing". That isn't for me. I'm looking for something that modern man has clearly forgotten at some point. I'm still a pragmatist. If I can find a decent dentist in the next few month, I may still have the gum-reaming done. But I need to quit my job first and reduce my stress before I can pull that off. In the meantime, I'm going to do some research and figure out how I can get my mouth to heal itself just like the rest of my body can. We computer programmers have a silver bullet we like to use when things get really bad - it is called "Occam's Razor". Modern dentistry violates the principle of Occam's Razor. Just because we don't know or have forgotten the simple solution doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://dentalhell.blogspot.com/

You may be interested in this blog by one of our members. No idea whether it will work or not....I am not endorsing it in any way....it is not cheap...but in the USA, she has found a deep clean method using tiny cameras inserted under the gum which also supposedly helps fight gum disease. She is trying it, as other dentists have told her to have them all taken out and either have dentures or implants.
It is classed as a non-surgical procedure to treat advanced gum disease.

Okay, I know its still dental treatment rather than nature's alternative but its certainly ahead of its time. Sounds better than surgery to me. I really hope it works for her.

By the way, you can get gum problems from brushing too much/too hard as well as not enough! Sounds like this could be your wife's problem.

J

jwdusa

For someone with a dental phobia, "dentalhell" sure seems to be going in to wrong direction.

As a sofware engineer (and a good one at that), I know quite a bit about technology, and I have very little confidence in it. The problems that I use technology to "solve" on a daily basis were almost entirely "caused" by technology.

My wife has put her faith firmly into modern dentistry. That's fine for her. If she is doing anything wrong, I assume her dentist would tell her. My mouth is still in better shape than hers. She has had much more work done - crowns, root canals, etc. - than I have. I need a couple of crowns, but only because the damage an unethical dentist did 20 years ago.

I will readily admit that I'm not happy with the state of my mouth and I intend to do something about it. If I can find a decent dentist I may even try that again. I'm flexible. But it just doesn't seem logical. It seems that one of the primary goals of a dentist vist is additional dentist visits. I want a cure, not a maintenance plan. No one had maintenance plans until 100 years ago and, guess what? We dig up their bones all the time - they didn't lose their teeth. Now we do. Wild animals don't lose their teeth, but we do.

Unfortunately, I still have a problem. For all my efforts, I still live in modern society. Whatever new aliments have developed in the past 100 years also afflict me. There is something missing - some disconnect. It is fairly clear and logical (to me at least) that picks, probes, irrigations, scrapings, drugs, surgery, fillings, etc. are not what is missing. We have plenty of those. I've had maybe two dental visits in the past 25 years and I'm doing very well thank you. I would be doing much better if it were not for those visits my parents took me to before that. It wouldn't surprise me if dental visits actually cause gum disease. That makes more sense and logic than anything I've seen so far.

Again, I still have a problem. What's done is done. I don't want to lose my teeth and I don't think dental visits are the answer. I want a better answer.

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember surveys being quoted on the Radio 4 Today programme in the UK 20 years ago which concluded 'the more you go to the dentist, the more you need to go to the dentist'.
So your thinking is not actually that radical. There are no new ideas someone once said.

I have to say, I don't agree with this view (the more you go, the more you need to) but I do think it is best to find a dentist who is into minimally invasive treatment and who doesn't think everyone needs Hollywood white bleached teeth.

Some people such as my husband who never flosses just have better teeth. His are better than mine. One of his bottom teeth recently broke off and our dentist just filed it down and said a crown would be too invasive. I'm amazed by this - I'm sure in the USA, a cosmetic solution would have been offered. Sure makes me think we are not going to get overtreated at this place though.

Good luck in your quest - I think lifestyles, diet etc have changed so much - we do need dentists to keep our teeth healthy. Remember in the past, people also died much younger so their teeth were bound to wear better.

J

jwdusa

People died much younger about 100-200 years ago - when cities were clouded by perpetual smog and soot. And this is the environment that gave us modern dentistry. Not that surprising actually. We have very little knowledge about how people lived and died hundreds and thousands of years ago. One of the few things we know for sure is that they didn't have dentists.

My research is going pretty well: Check out this site: http://mizar5.com/

That is exactly what I was looking for.

The denistry profession is based on what computer people call FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). They show scary pictures of horribly advanced gum disease just for the purpose of scaring people.

Dentist: If you don't give me free reign in your mouth, this is what your gums will look like!
Me: And this root scaling prodedure will prevent that?
Dentist: Procedures - plural. It is too much to do at once. And yes, we need to do it.
Me: But will the procedures prevent my teeth from looking like that last picture.
Dentist: That depends on you. You will have to come to the dentist every 3 months from now on.
Me: But right now, I think my teeth look like picture #1, labeled "healthy"
Dentist: Only a professional can make that determination. Trust me.
Me: I don't trust you. You've succeeded in your FUD campaign. I'll give you that. But I've done pretty well over the years with my own instincts. My instincts tell me this is all wrong.

harper

harper

ill be going every 3 months but not because my dentist wants me too because i want to to help my phobia . my dentist didnt just help my teeth he helped me as a person. not sure if it has much to do with your topic sorry if it doesnt

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you've just been seeing the wrong kind of dentists.

The origins of dentistry and tooth restoration can be traced much further back than 200 years ago. I can't be bothered to check exactly how far as I have better things to do. I think you are probably barking up the wrong tree and doing people a disservice by trying to alarm them unnecessarily. It's like every profession there are ethical and unethical people out there.

J

jwdusa

Brit said:
I think you've just been seeing the wrong kind of dentists.
No argument there. But I have little desire to go shopping around for something as unpleasant as a dentist.

Brit said:
The origins of dentistry and tooth restoration can be traced much further back than 200 years ago. I can't be bothered to check exactly how far as I have better things to do. I think you are probably barking up the wrong tree and doing people a disservice by trying to alarm them unnecessarily. It's like every profession there are ethical and unethical people out there.
That's why I posted in this forum. It said "Controversial posts are fine!"

But I don't think I'm barking up the wrong tree at all. I'm quite happy with what I've found - http://oramedia.com/ (same site as above). I even did a search and this link doesn't appear to have been mentioned before on this site.

People should make up their own minds about what they want to do with their bodies. Don't take my advice! I'm not reliable and I'll freely admit it. If you have a good dentist you like and you want to go, by all means do what makes you happy. But there are always alternatives.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
I find that website hilarious - for example, it links to a page about the benefits of rubbing honey onto your gums to prevent gum disease and decay :rolleyes: - when there's absolutely no doubt (from a purely biological/scientific perspective) that this would be the last thing to do to prevent gum problems and decay...

sorry, but I find that site a hoot... and I'd strongly discourage people from following the advice on that site.

harper

harper

lets
i just had to look after your reply well what can i say ? lets show c next time i go and i could be the first person to leave the dentist histerical with laughter :D

J

jwdusa

letsconnect said:
I find that website hilarious - for example, it links to a page about the benefits of rubbing honey onto your gums to prevent gum disease and decay :rolleyes: - when there's absolutely no doubt (from a purely biological/scientific perspective) that this would be the last thing to do to prevent gum problems and decay...

sorry, but I find that site a hoot... and I'd strongly discourage people from following the advice on that site.
Perhaps you need to look the other 97% of that web site first. You discourage people from:
Taking an active part in their own health care
Brushing (and doing it well) at least once a day
Flossing
Using mouth care products that actively kill the bacteria that cause gum disease and cavities.

Yeah, what a hoot!

Seriously, all you are doing is using ridicule to belittle ideas that you don't agree with. Anyone with decent critical thinking skills will see right through that type of response.

I posted that link so that people can see there are alternatives. Some alternatives are more "alternative" than others. I'm not going to rub honey on my gums. I might switch to honey in my coffee. I'm definitely not going to let a dentist near my mouth again.

The primary message of that website is that the mouth is no different than the rest of the body. It can and will heal itself, if you let it. But you need to get your mouth into a healthy enough state in order to make that happen - and the website shows how to do that! That website really put all the pieces together for me. It didn't really say anything I didn't already know. But it showed me that it is possible and showed me how I can make that happen.

Belittle it all you want. I don't have a dental phobia any more.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, there are plenty of websites out there that give oral hygiene tips (and don't mention the honey cure), so I reckon I prefer those.

It might be best to drink your coffee without either sugar or honey.

A

Andria

Lots of people who use this forum including myself, welcome genuine tips or advice on how to look after our teeth and gums and preventative measures. :D

Alot of the advice and tips and links to other websites are very good too. :jump:

Perhaps you have a problem with going to the dentist and having treatment because deep down inside, there is something holding you back, maybe you have a slight phobia or worry and not just about how much it's going to cost.

I may be wrong, everyone's entitled to air there opinion.

But you shouldn't diss this forum coz of difference in opinions.