• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Alveoloplasty/Bone Shaving

S

scnurse

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has had an alveoloplasty or bone shaving done after a simple, single molar extraction? I was left with a boney protuberance that is jutting outward toward my cheek on upper right side. This is NOT a bone sliver or spicule, it is a thick piece of bone. It seems to be preventing me from chewing side to side (grinding ability). I've been eating on the other side. My cheek rubs this every time I speak or move my mouth. Extraction was over 5 months ago. I've been suffering and putting off any other procedure due to fear/anxiety. The OS who did the extraction said he would fix it for free, but there is no way I'll go back there. He never even told me the boney projection happened. I mentioned that it felt like my cheek was getting hung up on what I believed to be a tooth (it was the bone protuberance, but I did not know it at the time). He mumbled something under his breath, but still never told me. He never mentioned to follow up or that another procedure may be necessary. I went back in February and that's when he said he would do the second procedure for free. Anyway, I've lost all confidence in the OS. So now, I'll be paying out of pocket for another OS consult and for the procedure. It has been a rough 5 1/2 months. Been down and not my normal self since. Have lost weight. Not spending time with my tween as I should. My bite is now off too, possibly due to the boney projection and sub consciously wanting to avoid rubbing my cheek against it. I've been trying to hold off doing anything until after school is out for break (I work at a school). I'm angry and sad at the same time.

Has anyone had their gum bone shaved after a single tooth molar extraction? If so, what was the healing time? How long until you could talk, eat without pain? What was it like? Any advice is appreciated. I just want to get back to my old self and live life.

Scnurse,

I am so sorry to hear about all this with the protruberance. It is definately very annoying and bothersome to have this. I as well had this issue and I can also see how you could not trust the OS that originally did it. that is hard to trust someone after something has gone wrong previously. Seems he was not good at communicating anything about this which totally can understand why it can lead to anxiety, not knowing, and also being something new you are not familiar with and causing so much frustration.

I had my new dentist I transferred to do this procedure for me. I was scared too as I didn't know what to expect. I can tell you it was for me one of the easiest procedures I"ve had.. He numbed me up, used tools to smooth down the bone to take down the protuberance, there was one that was like more vibrating I noticed more but none of it hurt or was very scary at all. It actually was a fairly quick procedure and he sewed me up with stiches. I probably ate soft food for a few days and maybe took the heavy pain med for one night or maybe 2 and only during night . I took acetaminphin /advil for maybe 4-5 days but it really wasn't too bad. I sure am glad I did it !! It felt alot better after and got rid of all that bother.

I do encourage you to find someone you feel comfortable with and get it done. It really made a difference and wasn't too bad of a procedure. I really wish you the best and an end to all the anxiety with this!

I haven't had it done, but I know what you are talking about. My oral surgeon is fantastic and the two molars I had extracted with him had no issues, and he is doing my implants as well.
The last molar I had extracted, a first molar was done at my dentist. While I do think my dentist is very capable and he has great reviews, I have the same bony protrusion you are talking about! There is one on both the inside and outside. The inside one bothers me more as my tongue rubs on it. My dentist said it was always there, and I just notice it more since there is no tooth above it, and that once I get my implant, I won't notice it. I am skeptical, and am planning on asking my oral surgeon when I see him next.

Back