• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Am i driving myself to insanity?

M

MumOfBoys1985

After my dental appt a couple of weeks ago where she fixed my broken filling, I have had a good couple of weeks. A few weeks where I don't obsess about my teeth, where I dont spend hours checking and photographing my teeth every day, comparing photos from days or weeks earlier.

However, the last 24h have been horrendous. I had convinced myself part of a tooth had snapped. I dont think it has. But I am obsessing horrendously I just can't stop.

My other half could see I was distracted and not myself and he thinks I need to phone my doctor on Monday and talk about options for medications or something as he thinks I am getting mentally unwell from all the obsessing and that I am fixating it on my teeth which the dentist says are OK at the moment.

Do you think its possible to make yourself mentally ill from stress and anxiety about your teeth? Have I caused myself some sort of ocd? I am so embarrassed to phone my doctor but its getting worse. Do I just need to get a grip and stop being so ridiculous?

Not really alot of point to this post, just a bit of a vent, its probably not even the right place to speak like this but I'm really lost as to what to do.

I feel sad, anxious and sad I think is the only way to describe it.

Hi MumOfBoys1985,

your other half seems to care a lot about you. When it comes to any change in behaviours or how we feel, it can be helpful to get a well meant feedback from those close to us because sometimes we just don't notice if things get unhealthy.

Coming to your question of "is it possible to make yourself mentally ill from stress and anxiety about your teeth?". I am not a fan of the idea of "mentally ill" vs. "mentally healthy", but the most important part here is how you feel about what is happening. If you don't feel comfortable and happy with it and feel like it is affecting your life negatively, then getting some help with it may be a good idea. There are generally many different things that can cause anxieties, obsessive thoughts or stress. Sometimes it can be directly related to something we experienced in the past, sometimes it's about overall vulnerabilities, sometimes it's about life simply being stressful and making struggles like this more likely to happen.

The good thing is: the way you feel, think, or behave can be changed and it is possible to stop thinking of teeth 24/7 or feeling sad and anxious all the time. I understand that you may feel embarrassed to call your doctor and may feel ridiculous, but you really aren't. On the contrary: saying "I feel XY and it's bothering me and I want to change it" is a very brave and strong responsible thing to do. I am sure your GP will be glad that you had a chat!

All the best wishes

Last edited:
I am always worried about my teeth, whether I have had cracked a tooth, broke one of my fillings etc.

I go regularly to the dentist every three months

It might cost you more money but can't you asked to see your dentist more regularly if you are worried about your teeth.

I am going to ask my dentist next time during me getting me ready to have the crown on my tooth I see her if she can give me something to help reduced my anxiety

I might ask that at my next appt, that might help me. On the NHS I don't know if thats a possibility or not. I remember when I was really young my dentist did recommend that but I dont remember it ever happening.

I have suffered depression and anxiety before and I am wondering if I am using my teeth as a focus and becoming obsessed with them when actually its more around my mental health and emotional wellbeing instead. I have been working at home since lockdown in March and I think its having a negative affect on my emotional health now, there's no return to our office or normal working life until probably next spring time at the earliest. I am not saying there isn't issues with my teeth (xrays and exam were clear at recent appt) but I'm thinking its more linked to my emotional health than a physical tooth issue.

Altho sadly I have always felt terribly embarrassed discussing my emotional health etc so I am sure ill chicken out phoning my doctor anyway.

Yeah, Covid certainly doesn‘t make it easier to cope with stress.. if phoning your doctor doesn‘t feel right, I was wondering whether there is a therapist or counselor that was helping you with your depression and anxiety in the past and that you would feel ok to get in touch with? In case you feel you want to get help.. I know it is a super sensitive topic and telling people „get a therapist“ is generally not helpful, so apologies if I‘m jumping into suggestions too quickly.
Anyway, in my experience everyone is doing worse mentally during those times - who struggled before struggles more and who haven‘t struggled before at all struggles at least a bit..

Back