• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Am I finding pieces of enamel in my mouth while chewing ice?

B

b28

I'm 28 and I started chewing ice(solid and crushed) several months ago. I do it now almost daily, anywhere from 1-5 glasses a day. Three times within the last few days I have found very small flakes of something while I was chewing the ice. They were kind of hard but broke apart easily, kind of gritty. Could it be enamel that chipped off? I'm not sure what to think. I also wonder if it was something in the ice when it was made in the fast food place I get it at. I have great healthy teeth and have never had a cavity or anything. Don't know if that makes any difference or not. I know chewing ice is bad for teeth but don't want to stop but am concerned I have done damage.

Hey
Chewing ice is very unhealthy to the enamel.
The ice can chip off pieces of the enamel. I am not sure though that the pieces you told about are enamel because it should not break apart so easily.
In any case, if you notice with your tongue or on the mirror any change in your teeth, it is probably due to the ice chewing.

Back