Am I in the clear of a dry socket and why do dentist stitch your gums only sometime??

J

Juana898

Am I in the clear of a dry socket and why do dentist stitch your gums only sometime??

Hi my Juana, on Friday I got 3 teeth pulled one wisdom tooth and the two right next to it (all on the top right hand side). I've got had my fair share of teeth pulled, but this time was different not only because I had a new dentist but I have 3 or 4 stitches something that's never happened before. There very annoying, but my question is today is now Tuesday it's been 4 day am I all clear for a dry socket and why do they put stitches on your gums??

P.S I'm a smoker and haven't smoked since the extraction.. Can I smoke yet?

Thank-you Juana :):):)

L

lost

Re: Am I in the clear of a dry socket and why do dentist stitch your gums only sometime??

Hi there, Juana, and welcome :)

I can only properly answer one of your questions, I'm afraid. I've never had stitches after an extraction, so I'll be of little use there, but hopefully someone will be along soon who can answer. My dentist did warn me that I might need them, but in the end it was fine, so if I was to hazard a guess, I would say that it depends on how easy the surgery is and how much trauma the gum suffers. This really is only a guess, though... I might be completely off base.

What I do have some knowledge about is dry socket, not because I've experienced it but because I was so worried about having it that I read up a LOT on this awesome forum. After 72 hours, it's usually thought that you are safe from dry socket. It's very unlikely you'll suffer from it after that time period, so I would say try not to worry about it.

As for the smoking, you've done really well to last this long - I couldn't! I'd think it's okay to smoke now, but again, I'm happy to be corrected.

Take care

Lost :)