• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Am I likely to be too far gone?

L

Lulu05

I just found this forum, and I'm sorry for jumping right in and asking a question. I didn't really know before that dental phobia was a thing - I thought I was just being a wuss who should get over it. I am terrified of the dentist, and the longer I put off going, the more scared I get.

I have just made an appointment for the first time in ten years, and I am really scared. At the moment, the anxiety is centering on whether my teeth are likely to be too far gone to save. I'm in my mid/late twenties, and didn't start having good dental hygiene until my early twenties. Before that I barely even brushed - due to anxiety, depression and issues with self-care. :( I've got a lot better, but obviously I'm expecting there to be a LOT of problems, when I do finally see a dentist. I get tooth pain periodically - and not always in the same place... So I must have a lot of cavities and problems.

What I'm wondering and worrying about is - is it probable that my teeth are beyond repair? Is it likely that I'll be lucky enough to catch the problems in time? I haven't been in agony or anything, but I guess you wouldn't always be... And if my teeth are beyond repair, what would happen from there? Do people end up needing false teeth in their twenties?

Also, what should I expect from the appointment? I don't know what you even have to do at the dentist any more, and I'm freaking out on almost every level.

you sound like me, Honestly I don't think your going to need dentures my dentist laughed when I asked if i needed them, she said you got along way to go for you need them. You have a small period of time before they get worst, TAKE ACTION NOW YOU MUST WIN to get back your teeth. I think Ive saved my teeth since I didn't go for 10years, I know its embarrassing just like i was, DO THE RIGHT THING A GET IT DONE, you will thank yourself.

1st time going
They will probably do a cleaning, take some xrays and tell you what needs to be done.

I do hope your working because its expensive without dental insurance

Day before you go do some exersice or something I did and its also good for calming and lowering blood-pressure.

Maybe sure to be honest and tell them your fears that will help you out in the long run.

Also the might give you special tooth paste to prevent more captives like they gave me

Tell them your there to start taking better care that day.

Gum disease is no joke, and they can check for oral cancer is why most smokers get early detection in the dentist office

Ive made mistakes also, I do hope you get it looked at, the dentist should help you if not find another,
Dont let it get worst

Pm me when you get your first visit let me know how it went

Thanks for the reassurance. I am still scared, but... I can't feel anything wrong in my mouth. My teeth are sensitive to extreme temperatures, but... I am just hoping there is nothing irreversible. I know I will have lots of cavities, but I hope that's the worst of it. :(

Id suggest going before its to late. Usually they can even crown stuff that doesn't even look like they can save. Just looking at google you wouldn't believe what they can do with teeth with just crowns. It looks like if there is enough structure or anchor point they could put a crown on a tooth.

Get it checked out by a dentist asap, just let them know your scared.

Care credit is a good option for money help ask your dentist if they have it

Back