• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Am I too old for braces?

R

RMR02

Hello,

I am 16-years-old and have been told I need braces due to severe overcrowding. I'm from the UK and have been on the waiting list for braces since I was 13-years-old. I'm now beginning to fear I am becoming too old for braces and they won't make a difference anymore because I believe I have stopped growing.

Please, can anybody help me and tell me if braces will or will not make a difference at this point?

RMR02,

I'm not a dentist but can tell you my daughter got braces when 16 and is getting them off in September, they have definately made a difference for her. Also i have a friend who is 50 who has invisilign braces and they are helping her as well. I hope the waiting list can get you in soon!

RMR02,

I'm not a dentist but can tell you my daughter got braces when 16 and is getting them off in September, they have definately made a difference for her. Also i have a friend who is 50 who has invisilign braces and they are helping her as well. I hope the waiting list can get you in soon!

Thank you, that really gives me hope.

Did she get them for overcrowding too? Your daughter? :)

My colleague just got braces off a month or so ago - she is 40! Her teeth look great!

I got my braces on at 15, and wore them until I was 18. Mine was also due to overcrowding. It doesn't matter if you have stopped growing.

My daughter had braces on her bottom teeth at age 10, because two of her permanent teeth were coming in at the wrong place. Her lateral incisor was impacted, and sideways, and her canine came in where the incisor was supposed to go. Her top teeth are crowded and crooked as well. The orthodontist wouldn't even address the crowding at her age, saying that anything we did now could shift when her 12 year molars came in. He said once those come in, we can talk about getting braces for the crowding.

My dentist is in his 40s and he got braces about two years ago. There was a patient in the office talking to him and the patient was surprised the dentist had them. He told her they were to correct an issue he had and not really for cosmetic reasons. The dentist's wife is an orthodontist, so he told this woman that he liked to joke with people that his wife put on the braces in his sleep. :grin:

I’m 50 and my orthodontist thinks I should get them ?

Thank you, that really gives me hope.

Did she get them for overcrowding too? Your daughter? :)

Yes, that was a major factor, and some other reasons. but things are looking alot better a few years later now.

A "no, you're not too old for braces" from me too, have met a lot of people in their 30s and 40s who have braces and have heard of a lady who got braces at the age of 60! It has nothing to do with growth, your teeth are able to get mover around at any stage. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get the braces asap!

One of our auxiliary ladies had braces fitted at 62. Nice result at the end too... you're never too old :)