• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Amazing IV Sedation Experience!

H

HaddieB

Hello all! I am jumping in here to share my story with any of you who are questioning if IV sedation really works! I mean it is a conscious sedation?!?! How does conscious and sedation belong together? I didn’t want to be conscious! That’s the whole point of being sedated! Right? Let me tell you if you are anxious about being sedated I want to tell you there is nothing to fear!! I don’t know how the drugs work they give you but they work! I do not remember anything that happened the 4 hours the dentist worked on me! I go back in 2 weeks for another visit to complete all my work and I am not worrying about. I highly recommend IV sedation if you just can’t phathom sitting in the chair! There are no sights, no sounds, no fears! Amazing!

That’s wonderful to hear 💗
I am terrified of having an extraction.
I have asked my GP for Diazpam but I fear that isn’t going to help . I feel sick at the thought of me getting this appointment done . This extraction I waited for since 2021 - the dentist did me a filling but failed to get all the decay out do now I need it taking out . I am so cross about it because she knew how worried I was , half the tooth got broken during the filling so it’s going to snap when it gets extracted . I am worried about sedation incase it doesn’t work ?
So much anxiety going off with me

Aww…I feel for you and totally understand your anxiety. I broke a tooth in March and was mortified knowing I would have to go to the dentist and more than likely need a crown. The anxiety crippled me. I didn’t eat food for three days and was curled up on my couch trembling and crying. I didn’t want to go to my dentist as I was embarrassed that I hadn’t been there in 9 years! I researched dentists that offered IV sedation as that’s the only way I was going to get the tooth fixed! I found one but my husband had to call for me as I was so worked up over it. Well, I went and had xrays and an exam. Turns out I need a crown, have a few cavities and will need a cleaning all to be done in 2 different appointments. I go in a few days for the 2nd sedation to finish my crown and the other work. I can’t wait to go and get it all completed. The IV sedation is the way to go if you don’t think you can handle the extraction. I wish you the best of luck!❤️

@HaddieB

Hi , reading your story has really helped me . My dentist want to refer me to a dentist that does IV sedation. Having the sedation doesn’t really scare me , it’s the worry that I won’t be able to breathe and swallow properly. I had a root canal in January and i found it hard to have my mouth open for so long and having to breathe through my nose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .

You will be able to breathe and swallow just fine! The sedation calms you and your breathing should just be calm and normal. Your body will function as it should so don’t worry about swallowing,either. The dental assistant said I told them I was cold during my first sedation which I have no memory of. You will be able to follow commands but you will not be aware and will have no memory. It truly is amazing! Just trust that you will be fine! Hope that helps you! ❤️

Thank you so much for your help . I’m just worried that I’ll start getting distressed 😟

If you start getting distressed and are getting IV sedation, they can adjust the dosage to get you back to a comfortable state. With the amnesic effect, it will either be a vague souvenir or you will not remember at all.

@Bethan123 I really worried about being sedated ,too. Like the other member said,they can adjust the meds during your procedure to your needs. I hope you update as to how it goes for you. I know you will be just fine and you will be amazed at how wonderful it was. 😊