• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Amitriptyline 10mg and Local Anaesthetic

M

MrSPB

Hi All,

I have broken my front tooth to almost gum level, I have had my x-rays etc. and the root is healthy, so what I am having done tomorrow is 2 pins put into the tooth, some moulds taken and the core build up. I take Amitriptyline 10mg every morning for migraine prevention. My question is that I have scared myself reading that you should not mix epinephrine/adrenaline with Amitriptyline. I have spoken to the receptionist about this and she said they do have a local anaesthetic that doesn’t contain epinephrine/adrenaline. Getting a bit worried that whatever local anaesthetic I have is going to cause me some scary issue and that a local anaesthetic without epinephrine/adrenaline will be worse than having one that is?

Hi,
No need to worry about it, the latest advice given to UK dentists by the British national formulary (which keeps doctors and dentists up to date with drugs) is that there is no problem with local anaesthetics containing adrenaline.

"Amitriptyline belongs to Antidepressants, Tricyclic and will have the following interactions:

Adrenaline (epinephrine)increased risk of hypertension and arrhythmias whentricyclics given with adrenaline (epinephrine) (but local anaesthetics with adrenaline appear to be safe)"
If you are concerned they should have an alternative without the adrenaline which should also work just fine.
So the Amitryptlyine is not a problem at all. So I guess that is one less thing to worry about!
Good luck

Lincoln

Back