• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Another complication or not?

H

Hikari Riddle

Former Member
Hello all. I'm looking for some advice/experiences of other people because something strange happened during the healing process of my wisdom teeth removal.

For some background, my lower two -impacted- wisdom teeth were removed 5 days ago, I had to return to the surgeon's office 4 days ago after because of excessive bleeding and again yesterday because I had developed dry socket -clot apparently never formed- with a starting infection over the weekend. They cleaned it, said everything should be fine now, and I should keep up normal care as they'd described before.

Last night however, I woke up with blood in my mouth, which had clotted. In the morning I could see that a huge clot had formed over the extraction site of the right tooth and to the side of it. Is this normal? Can blood clots still form afterwards after so many days? or is this somehow part of the infection? I don't know if I should remove it or leave it. Rinsing my mouth with the medicine I was given does not seem to move it, so.

My next appointment is in two days and I'd really rather not have to go there an additional time again and wait for hours if it's something normal...

Hi there,

I'm not a dentist, but my guess is that depending on what they did yesterday (did they provoke bleeding for a new clot to build?) maybe there is a chance of the spot bleeding again. Generally bleeding can take some time to subside. I understand that you would like to avoid going there before your next appointment, but maybe giving them a call and asking might help to give you some reassurance. Are you in pain?

All the best wishes

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply. I followed your advice and called them in the afternoon. Apparently they hadn't really meant to provoke more bleeding but it wasn't a bad thing that it happened, it was just a bit.. excessive, so I had to go again anyways. They cleaned the excess clot away and left a bit in the extraction site.

Glad the situation solved. Getting in touch is sometimes better than worrying. Hope all goes well from now on, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks, I also hope that it will recover soon. Doesn't look like it so far though, developed an infection.. While the extraction site was disinfected today, it jumped to my throat too and now I am on antibiotics for the next ten days..

Another complication? What a bummer, you seem to be really unhappy with this.. this kind of complications are quite rare as far as I know. Hope the antibiotics help and hope your dentist is a good one.

Yeah, my health is generally quite bad, I get infections every couple of months, often throat infections, so I wasn't too surprised. My oral surgeon is thankfully good andthe places where my wisdom teeth were are actually healing very well now, it's just my throat that hurts a lot. I know from experience that this should go away within a couple of days of taking antibotics though.

Back