• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

another positive visit

shamrockerin

shamrockerin

I had an appt for a cleaning today. I was a little nervous because I was due for x-rays (and also because its Friday the 13th!).

But everything went well. Ive been at this office for about 3 yrs now and its been great. I always see the same hygienist and she knows exactly what to say/do to help me. I dont mind doing the x-rays but I get nervous that they're going to show a problem so she had the Dr. look at them immediately to put my mind at ease so I didnt have to go through the whole cleaning feeling on edge.

They are so nice and every December I bake some holiday cookies for them, which helps us all feel happier.

I am really grateful that Ive managed to get this under control and find an office I trust.

:perfect::welldone:
Shamrockerin..

Everything about this is awesome.. great to hear this report and how awesome this office is and how you are doing..

You have come such a long way Shamrockerin! I remember the beginning of your journey and it sounds like you have finally found the right dentist/hygienist for you. Yes, X-rays also put me on edge because of what the dentist might find. I am due for a full mouth series of X-rays in a couple of weeks and I am really not looking forward to it.

Yes, it was very tough in the beginning. I thought I'd never get it under control; every appointment caused anxiety attacks and nightmares and many, many tears. There were a couple setbacks too. I've only needed cleanings and xrays at this office so I do worry sometimes about when the day will come that I'll need some kind of treatment and how I will handle it, but so far it's been great.

Hi shamrockerin,

thanks for the lovely update, it‘s nice and inspiring to read how much progress you‘ve made over time. My feel is that this routine visits you are handling so well would certainly help you being able to cope with any treatment should you ever need it (which I do not hope). Having a good familiar dental team is the most important thing. How lovely you give them home made cookies every year :love:

If/when you ever need treatment, you will be way ahead of the curve because you have built up a trusting relationship with the staff already and that can make all the difference. Also by going regularly, you are greatly reducing your chances of needing any treatment through prevention. It’s a win/win situation really.

Back