• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

another question about smoking after wisdom tooth extraction

T

tjwoosta

i realize that i should not smoke after my wisdom tooth extraction because the suction could cause problem with the blood clot

my question is could i smoke from a very loosly packed pipe if i have the cotton swabs in place?

with the cotton swabs in place i cant really notice any suction on the sockets (especially through a pipe)

i have also read that i could smoke through my nostrils, but i dont think that would feel very good

T

tjwoosta

i have previously tried the patches, when i was trying to quit, but they dont work for me

i mean i get the nicotine, but that doesn't satisfy my urge to smoke something

T

tjwoosta

yes i am only 23

and almost everyone that i am around every single day smokes

By the way I'm for some reason imagining you as a man in his fifties or sixties who smokes a pipe while reading the papers in his conservatory.
haha, not quite

i only brought up the pipe because i can pack it very loosely and there would be far less suction required to smoke it then with a cigarette

(i have heard that suction is what loosens the blood clot, causing a dry socket)

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It's not the suction, it's the tobacco. Realistically, if you can leave off the cancer sticks for a couple of hours, then the worst of the clotting problems will be over with. By the time your mouth has defrosted enough from the local to let you feel the ciggy in your mouth, it should be safe enough to smoke it :)

L

littlestar88

When my dad tried to give up he used one of those nicotene pens that you smoke. If its not the suction thats the problem would this help?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I don't think so, the nicotine is part of the problem.

Hayley

Hayley

It's like any addiction, the only way to stop is cold turkey.

Good luck, I hope you do choose to give it up.

Last edited by a moderator: