• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Another root canal giving me problems

F

famv5

Sigh. What is going on with my teeth?

Within the last four years I've had three root canals and three extractions. All of those extractions were from the root canals. Interestingly, too, they are all lower teeth. My upper teeth that I had root canals done on years ago, have never given me any problems at all.

So, this is what's going on now. I had a root canal done in May and I now have a temporary crown on it while waiting for the permanent one which comes in a week. This molar has been sensitive to the touch from day one but off and on. Sometimes it will be very sensitive and then other times not at all. The tooth in front of it I had extracted after a root canal last year for the same reason. Everything looked fine on the xray and they even redid the root canal and it still was sensitive. Much more sensitive, though, then this tooth.

I decided to go forward with this particular tooth now and get the crown on it. I'm "hoping" that maybe it will make a difference.

As I am dealing with this issue right now, a different tooth on the opposite side of my mouth that had a root canal about two years ago now, its starting to do the same thing. Why????? What is going on? This one hurts if I tap on the side of it. I can bite down on it but if I bump my cheek or anything it will tap the tooth and I feel it.

With all the teeth I have lost over the years, I do not want to lose any more. :( I don't know what to do.

Could clenching/grinding my teeth at night be causing this? I'm wondering about this because I had a dentist once tell me that my teeth look like I grind them and a couple of weeks ago, I woke up during the night to a loud cracking sound and it felt like my teeth were locked together and then I slid them apart and that was the cracking sound. So, I'm wondering if these root canal teeth are sore or bruised feeling because I'm clenching them at night? Is that possible? Should I try a night guard?

I am just not mentally ready to walk in to the dentist and now say I need TWO teeth pulled.

Any ideas?

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not a dentist, but I do know for sure that clenching and grinding can be brutal on teeth. Maybe ask about a mouth guard?

M

Mazey

I clench and grind and it can cause awful pain, to the extent that I am sure that a tooth is getting ready to need a root canal or that something is wrong with a tooth. I sometimes wear my mouth guard as soon as I get home from work to make sure I’m not doing it unawares.

I hope you are able to get it sorted and that it’s not needing a root canal!

E

Elllllie

I clench and grind and it can cause awful pain, to the extent that I am sure that a tooth is getting ready to need a root canal or that something is wrong with a tooth. I sometimes wear my mouth guard as soon as I get home from work to make sure I’m not doing it unawares.

I hope you are able to get it sorted and that it’s not needing a root canal!
How long does it take the pain to go away after wearing a mouth guard? Please help