• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Another Wisdom Tooth Question

M

Mariner109

Former Member
Sorry for yet another wisdom tooth thread. I'm a 29 y.o. male, 30 in December. On my last dental visit, back in February, it was recommended to get my wisdom teeth out, they're either angular or horizontally impacted (I think that's the term). The dentist said they might not need to come out because I should be past the age that they're growing, but she recommended I have them removed. I was told that it can probably wait for awhile, I'm in college now and would like to wait until I graduate and get a job with dental benefits. One of the teether though, the lower left one, has broken through the gums. I don't have a picture of it, but it looks like this one I found on Wikipedia [broken link removed]. My "hole" is a bit bigger, and every once in awhile it gets bigger. I've been brushing back there as best as I can to keep it clean. As of now there's no pain and the biggest discomfort from it comes from getting food particles, such as sesame seeds and whatnot stuck in it. So long as I keep it clean and it doesn't get infected or a cavity can I still hold off on getting them pulled? I can try to get pictures of my actual tooth if it's needed, but I don't know when. I'm currently working on a ship in the Pacific (another reason I can't have them pulled right away, the soonest would be December) and we have really crummy internet on board, but I could probably upload in a week or two when we make port again.

Last edited by a moderator:
UK guidelines would be not to have them extracted unless they're causing problems. Since they aren't, I'd be in no hurry to have them taken care of.

Back