• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anti-gagging exercises

S

scared0902

So, after a huge relapse of my gagging issue, I'm now to the place where I would like to work on it in a more practical way. Hypnosis has been helpful, but I also feel like I need to reprogram my mouth.

Would it help to trigger my gag reflex with a spoon or toothbrush as I listen to my hypnosis tape or meditate? Or would this somehow create a new issue? Is there a good timeframe for me to do this (once a day, five minutes?) to get ready for an appointment in a month? Will this even really help with the dentist since it is mainly a fear reflex? I DO feel gaggy when I brush my teeth, so it would probably help a little at least...?

I have had success for fillings and crowns with oral sedation and nitrous, but I fear I'll need an impression, which is the thing I fear the most in the world.

Sorry if this is all over the place--I was feeling more confident and less fearful, but I've been feeling anxious today about my upcoming appointment.

If all else fails, like it did for me when I was trying to get through a bite registration and simply COULD NOT due to gagging, my dentist was going to do one of two things: First, he was going to give me an oral antihistamine because apparently this completely suppressed the gag reflex of a patient who couldn't get through a 1.5 minute impression. If that didn't work, he was going to give me 5 minutes of (or however long it took) IV sedation because that WILL work. So maybe you can ask your dentist if either of these are an option for you?

In the end, I didn't need either because prior to getting my bite registration I accidentally sprayed myself in the eye with Listerine breath spray and the pain from that completely suppressed my gag reflex by taking my mind right out of my mouth on the OUCH in my eye. I don't recommend this, but it worked for me! lol

I hope you find a solution.... gagging is AWFUL. I know how you feel.

Thanks, guys. I've tried most of the things on the tips page, but they've never worked well for me for long appointments.

Butteflies--I've actually tried both an antihistamine and a prescription anti-nausea medication. Both times I gagged more than ever. I think I just built it up in my mind...?

IV would work as I've had it before, but I am in the US, and my dentist contracts with a private sedation company, and it runs about $1000/hour with a one-hour minimum. I could probably come up with the money, but I'd rather not :)

It feels kind of hopeless :(

Soooo.... then maybe you SHOULD try spraying Listerine in your eye? lol :p

Surely your dentist has other patients like you? What does he recommend?

I really like my current dentist, but I think she thinks it is all in my mind, which doesn't help. I know it is partially in my mind, but I've never been able to stick my tongue out without gagging, etc, even before I had anxiety issues. She doesn't really have any suggestions except to white-knuckle it through all appointments (not her words).

Even if it is "all in your mind" the fact is, you have a severe gagging problem - period. And it needs to be managed. Doesn't matter what the cause is.

What about freezing the roof of your mouth? That was suggested to me as well as a possible solution. If you can't feel the roof of your mouth, you're not going to gag, I guess is the rationale.

Back