• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Antibiotics and IV sedation

M

Mandy3966

Hi,

I am due to have dental surgery next week with IV sedation (one, due to the amount of work being done, and two, because I am terribly dental phobic and already had panic attacks thinking about it!).

I am currently on a course of antibiotics (Augmentin) as one of the teeth that is due to be extracted has started hurting some what and the gum is slightly swollen. I got the antibiotics from the GP as didn't want to be in pain with it whilst having the surgey done..... I finish the week's course of antibiotics the day before my appointment.
My question is: Is it ok for me to be on antibiotics that close to my appointment or will they have an influence on the IV sedation that I have?
I don't want to get myself completely worked up before the appointment only to be told the procedure can't go ahead because of my recent antibiotics course, only finished the day before the surgery.

Many thanks
Mandy3966

It's absolutely not a problem. There's no interaction between IV drugs and antibiotics.

Many thanks for the reply Gordon........

Thats one less thing to worry about!

Mandy

Back