• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Antibiotics infection & extraction

S

SallyUK

Hi
I’m having a hard time with a few dental issues and resulting anxiety.

I had a large infection involving two teeth in late October that spread to my gum in neighbouring tooth. I had the tooth drilled for drainage and penicillin v to clear the infection. Dentist advised the antibiotics were necessary. First time taking them in over 20 years. I wasn’t well with side effects.

I also had a crown on an upper back molar fall off around the same time and although not ideal this was put on hold to deal with (root fill and build up or extraction) a temporary covering was put over the root. I had a check up a month ago and impressions a week ago for a partial denture as part of the treatment plan for front tooth issue and that tooth was checked. I know it has chronic infection.

My gums around the molar swelled up last Friday, painful to touch the tooth, saw another dentist at my practise who said gums were fluctuant, the tooth a bit mobile and took X-ray which apparentlyshowed infection. I’m not sure if this tooth is root filled or not. Said antibiotics to reduce infection so that it would go numb for extraction. I refused penicillin and got erythromycin. Advised she’d tell my dentist what happened and if he agreed go for extraction.

Today I expected a call from the dentists to adjust my treatment plan to deal with this, but when I called it turns out no one knew what I was talking about. The note left for my dentist wasn’t understandable apparently and nothing on my electronic notes about antibiotics, only that I had an emergency appt. ?

Did I need the antibiotics? Could she have drained it, maybe not if broken down....She said it was draining slightly and might grow harder, which it did over the weekend and then deflated. How long have I got before the infection might return and anaesthetic won’t wrk, I have two appointments booked. 19th and 25th feb. Might I need more antibiotics? ? I am considering asking for both to be done same day or canine and partial first. I’m losing my trust and now wonder if antibiotics were necessary and worried about extraction with an infection after what she said. I am due my canine extracted and dentist said that was fine as the infection was now chronic and not acute. I’m confused ? shouldn’t the dentists be talking to each other and then clearly explain to me? The dentist needs to record I had antibiotics doesn’t she?

Hoping this protocol is normal and things will pan out ok. I don’t really understand infection and antibiotics or antibiotic resistance which I’m now worried about. Anxious patients don’t like things unclear, at least I don't. I want to make informed choices and feel like I'm not managing to do that without understanding

Last edited:
1) Maybe. If it was already root treated, getting adequate drainage might be a challenge. Hard to say without seeing.
2) I think that's bull excrement about LA not working with acute infection frankly, usually a second injection will deal with it. I think I've only encountered the issue about five times in over 30 years and even then I think the patient was so up tight with their days of pain and lack of sleep that they were just super sensitive.
3) Yes, the emergency dentist needs to work on their record keeping.

1) Maybe. If it was already root treated, getting adequate drainage might be a challenge. Hard to say without seeing.
2) I think that's bull excrement about LA not working with acute infection frankly, usually a second injection will deal with it. I think I've only encountered the issue about five times in over 30 years and even then I think the patient was so up tight with their days of pain and lack of sleep that they were just super sensitive.
3) Yes, the emergency dentist needs to work on their record keeping.

Thank you once again. I wrote all that in a state of frustration.

I've never felt this uneasy towards my dental treatment in 11 years there. Maybe it's the complicated set of events that's left me feeling the whole picture isn't being looked at and enough empathy that I probably need. Things are failing and I'm getting a denture, it's quite a big step after years of restoring.

I wanted to try saving this tooth but I'm not going to now, can't handle it.

I didn't think the tooth was root canal led but emergency dentist mumbled something about seeing an attempt at one on the xray, that it has short roots and a bit wobbly..... I don't recommend dentists mumble to patients that worry as it creates over thinking, as we don't know what it all means ??

Thank you for explaining that it is possible to extract if the infection is still present. I didn't want these antibiotics really and started worrying I might need more inbeteeen now and appt. I've had enough of infections. Never experienced anything like this. It's made me accept the teeth have to go. No more repair attempts.

Thanks again. My dentist seems less focussed on answering questions these days. He sold the practise last year and maybe that step back has changed things. Not great timing for me to start feeling under confident.

Receptionists are also quite defensive and curt these days.

Last edited:
"I don't recommend dentists mumble to patients that worry as it creates over thinking, as we don't know what it all means ?? "

This is so true!!

Back to see my own dentist for an emergency appointment later today.

I finished antibiotics and gum around tooth itself is not swollen anymore and general pain diminished when press on it but there is tender swollen gum on the palate side alongside this back molar and the one next to it and little ulcer type things ?

I'm wondering if a tooth can be extracted when there is swelling like this? What constitutes a chronic v acute infection as my dentist previously said, with another tooth that extracting when acute wasn't a good idea? Emergency dentist said there was pus coming from the tooth so draining....but it obviously built up again. Having made the appt I tasted a lot of pus, so I'm hoping it's doing what it's meant to do. Tenderness on palate and swelling (not huge but feels it) is really disconcerting and scary ?

I don't want more antibiotics but neither do I want things to escalate. Hoping the pus and the quite specific tender spot indicates the opposite. Is it usual to wait for infection to drain more or can the tooth be extracted? I'm wondering what my dentist might do ..... Finding this process difficult to go through and seeing danger with everything.

P.S this is the most hideous dental journey I've ever been through and if my confidence doesn't improve on the other side of it I will feel short changed ??? thanks to the forum I'm hoping it will

Last edited:
Please disregard my message above. I'm not in need of advice now but I can't seem to delete my post ?

Saw my own dentist and he said the molar is fine, any signs of acute infection are gone. The swelling sensation and bruised feeling is almost certainly referred muscle pain. The ulcers may be what I first thought they were, burn from too hot salty water I was holding over the tooth earlier this week.

Muscle and tooth pain confusion is anxiety producing but very real and very similar

I am glad you got answers and it was not bad news!

I hear you about the antibiotics. Prior to last year, I think I had taken antibiotics maybe three or four times in my entire life. Now I have had 8 or 9 (I can't even keep track) rounds since last year! I am on another round now. Ugh.

I really, really hope you can get to the end of this also. This has been the worst experience for me, too. I would love to hear that you get a good ending soon!

I am glad you got answers and it was not bad news!

I hear you about the antibiotics. Prior to last year, I think I had taken antibiotics maybe three or four times in my entire life. Now I have had 8 or 9 (I can't even keep track) rounds since last year! I am on another round now. Ugh.

I really, really hope you can get to the end of this also. This has been the worst experience for me, too. I would love to hear that you get a good ending soon!
Thank you, I wish the same for you. An ending that is good. I am the same regards the antibiotics, none for over 20 years. I have what feels like a cold virus today, this happened after last antibiotics, mouth pain still present but I’m happy knowing it isn’t from a tooth! Understandable that we are hypervigilent right now, with so many things going on.

Thank you, I wish the same for you. An ending that is good. I am the same regards the antibiotics, none for over 20 years. I have what feels like a cold virus today, this happened after last antibiotics, mouth pain still present but I’m happy knowing it isn’t from a tooth! Understandable that we are hypervigilent right now, with so many things going on.
Glad the molar was saved. I hope things turn around for you. I haven’t been on antibiotics as much in my life as this past year. For me the infection just seemed to keep coming back molar was loose (she says 10mm pocket) but I’m questioning her a lot now with different things. I had 2 rounds antibiotics back to back almost and hated it was so afraid of the infection and jaw pain etc anyway glad things worked out for you!

Glad the molar was saved. I hope things turn around for you. I haven’t been on antibiotics as much in my life as this past year. For me the infection just seemed to keep coming back molar was loose (she says 10mm pocket) but I’m questioning her a lot now with different things. I had 2 rounds antibiotics back to back almost and hated it was so afraid of the infection and jaw pain etc anyway glad things worked out for you!
Hi
My molar is due for extraction, it's just that it flared up and an emergency dentist gave me antibiotics and I was in pain and fearful they would want to remove it asap. I was confused as to what was going on as my dentist had seen me one week before and said things were fine. This whole period I am in has had my anxiety kick off because there is no clear explanation as to why things are failing right now - but I guess they do. The pain i was feeling was muscular, not my tooth!!!

The molar had a crown which came loose a while back, we discussed root canal and a new crown, but my dentist said there was not much tooth left and might not last long and we left it for me to consider. Then I had an infection around two front teeth! So we were dealing with that first. I have no idea why it happened but the fear of losing more teeth is scary - I have the canine removed in a couple of weeks and a denture :( then we see if the next door tooth recovers, as this was involved too. If not, that goes and is added to the denture.

The molar will then be extracted . I currently have no crown on the tooth, so there is a gap already. I got used to the feeling but chewing is an issue but think that is down to my jaw muscles - they are chronically tight and my bite is off and I think this has caused all the current issues to be honest. I hope you can find out the best thing to do about your molar tooth.

Aww boy your really going through a tough time ?. I was hoping your post meant things were turning around for you and that molar could be saved. How have you been able to get use to that gap back there? I’m having a hard time, mainly because I feel the first molar more I guess against my cheek. Do you have that feeling too? I’m about a month out from having had that molar extracted I’m hoping it gets better and I can adjust. Scary how fast things turn bad almost like there no time to process it all for fear of losing more in delaying. That was my fear, I mean I had pain chewing on that tooth and brushing, cold/ hot touching it ect but mostly the jaw pain fear scared me, fearing infection was spreading even though I had antibiotics and was on round 2 of them. I was afraid it would spread to more teeth. This just was t how I imagained this year starting for me. Hope it get better for us both ❤️

Aww boy your really going through a tough time ?. I was hoping your post meant things were turning around for you and that molar could be saved. How have you been able to get use to that gap back there? I’m having a hard time, mainly because I feel the first molar more I guess against my cheek. Do you have that feeling too? I’m about a month out from having had that molar extracted I’m hoping it gets better and I can adjust. Scary how fast things turn bad almost like there no time to process it all for fear of losing more in delaying. That was my fear, I mean I had pain chewing on that tooth and brushing, cold/ hot touching it ect but mostly the jaw pain fear scared me, fearing infection was spreading even though I had antibiotics and was on round 2 of them. I was afraid it would spread to more teeth. This just was t how I imagained this year starting for me. Hope it get better for us both ❤️
Yes I do feel that gap sometimes and definitely felt it when the crown was first taken off, but got used to it fairly quickly. My jaw muscles are causing me bite issues and for me, I think that is part of the issue with being hyper aware. Once things settle I am certain we can all adjust to most things. The infection scared me too. But I am learning that anxiety can play a big part in making scary more scary - hope things settle for you too.

Yes I do feel that gap sometimes and definitely felt it when the crown was first taken off, but got used to it fairly quickly. My jaw muscles are causing me bite issues and for me, I think that is part of the issue with being hyper aware. Once things settle I am certain we can all adjust to most things. The infection scared me too. But I am learning that anxiety can play a big part in making scary more scary - hope things settle for you too.
So you don’t really feel the1st molar against your cheek now? I sure hope things settle I’ve thought of an implant but the sinus lift and possible failure for 2nd molars scares me I just don’t know if I can go through more

So you don’t really feel the1st molar against your cheek now? I sure hope things settle I’ve thought of an implant but the sinus lift and possible failure for 2nd molars scares me I just don’t know if I can go through more
Yes I do a bit, but my jaw is out of line at the moment and I think that is the real issue - do you clench your jaws? Yes, an implant is not something I am considering due to the things you say.

Yes I do a bit, but my jaw is out of line at the moment and I think that is the real issue - do you clench your jaws? Yes, an implant is not something I am considering due to the things you say.
I’m not sure if I clench or not. How would I know? How can you tell your jaw is out of line? Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to figure this out, some say they feel no difference at all it’s driving me mad. I could adjust better if I didn’t constantly feel it

I’m not sure if I clench or not. How would I know? How can you tell your jaw is out of line? Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to figure this out, some say they feel no difference at all it’s driving me mad. I could adjust better if I didn’t constantly feel it

Sorry to jump in on the conversation, but when I had my upper 2nd molar extracted, I felt the gap for quite some time. I couldn't stop my tongue from going there all the time. It has been almost 4 months now, and as the gums have filled in more, I don't notice it as much. You will get used to it, but it will take a while.

I am a bit confused - have you had your tooth extracted and trying to decide whether to fill the gap? I don't think my issue with my bite and jaw is relevant to your decision. I had a period of severe night bruxism and I could tell because I my jaw joint was painful and my jaw was deviating to one side, so that my teeth did not fit together properly.

I am a bit confused - have you had your tooth extracted and trying to decide whether to fill the gap? I don't think my issue with my bite and jaw is relevant to your decision. I had a period of severe night bruxism and I could tell because I my jaw joint was painful and my jaw was deviating to one side, so that my teeth did not fit together properly.
No I’ve had the upper second molar removed I don’t know if I clench I’m not sure how I’d know it if maybe my bite was off causing me to feel my 1 st molar more

Sorry to jump in on the conversation, but when I had my upper 2nd molar extracted, I felt the gap for quite some time. I couldn't stop my tongue from going there all the time. It has been almost 4 months now, and as the gums have filled in more, I don't notice it as much. You will get used to it, but it will take a while.
Thank you!! I sure hope so! It only been just about a month since it was extracted so I’m hoping. I can tell it’s not 100% healed yet and the gum is not filled all the way in yet and yes the tongue goes there all the time ? trying to stop that

Last edited:
Thank you!! I sure hope so! It only been just about a month since it was extracted so I’m hoping. I can tell it’s not 100% healed yet and the gum is not filled all the way in yet and yes the tongue goes there all the time ? trying to stop that

Mine still isn't filled in all the way yet, but it isn't as bad as it was. It will get better. I clench my teeth at night when I am stressed, which I have been for almost a year with all the dental stuff. Like SallyUK said, there are signs such as your jaw hurting or misaligned. For me my other molars hurt when I have been clenching since my bite is off. My jaw joint will ache as well.

Back