• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Antibiotics

P

patient

I have an infected tooth and have been prescribed antibiotics 500mg Amoxicilin. I got them yesterday. How long does it take before they start to work and get rid of the infection? I am on excellent painkillers but they only work for so long. Also with tooth infections what makes a dentist decide on draining a tooth? I thought draining was the quickest way to get rid of infection

M

Mike

Verified dentist
Amoxicillin takes 24-48hrs to kick in so shouldn’t be too much longer.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,
First of all, I second what Mike wrote.

Also with tooth infections what makes a dentist decide on draining a tooth? I thought draining was the quickest way to get rid of infection
I don't know what you exactly mean with draining. For me, as a dentist, starting a root canal treatment is also draining. In some clinical situations draining is not doable. This is really something that a dentist who examined you can answer.