• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anticipation and dread.

• Thread starter 16andbadteethandgums
  • Start date
16andbadteethandgums

16andbadteethandgums

I’ve had an appointment scheduled for quite some time and the time is nearing for me to go... and the mere anticipation and horrible, horrible dread of the thing is slowly seeping into every. single. aspect of my life. When I’m idle it strikes me, when I’m trying to study it strikes me, when I’m walking to the grocery shop it does the same and in a moment I feel so hopeless, anxious and fearful... I keep on clenching my teeth so hard in my sleep I can’t eat due to the pain. When my mind is adrift when doing something not particularly immersive i‘m gradually carried away into obsessive worrying, and so before I even realise it I’m standing in a place where I should not be. my tongue has been rubbed, bitten and sliced raw, so I can’t even speak. .. Flossing and brushing my teeth has become an ordeal. I need to do it in a room with the lights switched off and no mirrors because if I even look at my teeth it sends me through an intense burning paroxysm of hatred and self-loathing and I can’t continue no matter how hard I try. I have to hum as loud as possible as even hearing the squeak of the floss and swish of the brush gets the same reaction and I start to gag and choke. I can only talk about it with one person in real life because, who’s ever heard of someone so scared of the dentist? aren’t I crazy? I really wish the day would come since that‘s the only relief i can expect right now :cry:

Hi there,

sounds like your anxiety got really intense as your appointment comes closer. May I ask you when are you scheduled?
It is very normal to feel completely out of your mind in the time before an appointment and most people who are scared of the dentist do. It is like flashing a light on your biggest issue and while it was not that hard to blend it out before, now as you actually have an appointment, you can‘t deny it so easily. That‘s when most people start being unable to sleep, eat, brush their teeht, may get panic attack or all kinds of scary things that haven‘t been there before. You described flossing and brushing being an ordeal, with gagging and choking, so I was wondering whether this always was like this or more recently?
You are doing a great job simply trying to go through it. If you can, please stay kind to yourself and don‘t push yourself too hard.

Regarding to „who‘s ever heard of someone so scared of the dentist?“ You couldn‘t be more wrong. About 35% of people have some amount of dental fear and about 12% are so scared that they are simply not able to go at all. So if you take 100 people, you may find 12 people who probably would get a complete melt down if you only mentioned the word dentist and another 35 would get very nervous, maybe not being able to sleep the night before. Dental phobia is a HUGE issue and depending on where exactly it comes from, or what experiences you have been through in your life (generally, not only in a dental practice), you will suffer from more or less intense anxiety. However, for the most people this topic is super embarrassing to talk about so nobody would share. I have worked in a dental practice for nervous patients for a while and guess what: whenever I said what I was doing for living, people suddenly came up with stories about their anxiety and it turned out that pretty much everyone I know is scared of the dentist.

To use your anxiety rather than pushing it away, it may be a good idea to think about what it is that makes you scared and make a list. You may also want to make a list of questions you would like to ask your dentist or anything you would like them to know. Hope you have a good practice that is understanding about dental anxiety.

Being scared of the dentist is very difficult to appreciate unless you have that phobia. My partner doesn't get it. He tries to be supportive, make light jokes to lighten the situation etc, but he doesn't truly understand because he doesn't feel that way. He cannot believe I have birthed two children with very little pain relief and yet I am a wreck at the very thought of even phoning the dentist. However, for people who are phobic, and scared, its very real and can be utterly tormenting.

I found this place an utter god send over the last few weeks. I think its important to remember that there are people here who share your anxieties and worries and will support you however possible.

Are you seeing a dentist you have been to before? Can you speak to them beforehand and explain your anxieties perhaps?

Back