• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Antidepressants and bleeding gums

M

MumOfBoys1985

Hi, sorry, just me again!

I have just been prescribed the antidepressant Sertraline. I started Friday and have noticed over the last day or two my gums feel a little sore (like I've been a bit vigorous with the electric toothbrush - its possible I have been, though I havent particularly noticed so) and they seem to bleed a little when brushing. I havent changed my dental routine at all - brush twice daily, floss once daily.

So to the point, is it possible its a mild (annoying) side effect of the new medication which hopefully will settle down? They are giving me awful side effects so it wouldn't surprise me that this is another one to add to my list. But if its not likely then I dont want to ignore a potential dental problem.

Thank you as always.

A quick Google search suggests that it's a common side effect of the drug, sorry.

my son takes theres also and weve had problems with his gums

@Peediedj67 mine improved over time, my gums felt sore after brushing but with working through it, it's really helped.

Back