• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety of going to dentist, bad pass experiences

A

Andyg10

Former Member
Hi im Andy,

Im new to this forum. I havent been to the dentist for about 10 years as ive never felt the need to go to be honest as ive never have any problems with my teeth. I visited 10 years ago because I had receeding gums on the lower jaw and an abcess. Ive never had any tooth pain in my life and im 40 now. The dentist was very rude in my opinion and i felt judged by the state of my teeth which in my opinion were not that bad. They sent me for a clean and scrape and the abcess disappeared. Over the last 25 years, ive suffered from severe depression and anxiety which has caused me to try to take my own life twice in 2014. I have been neglecting my teeth because of this and also because i have a very bad memory and always forget to brush my teeth. I can go weeks without brushing.

Over the last 2 weeks the abcess has come back in the same place and im worried that it wont go away this time and I will have to go to the dentist again. Ive still got bad anxiety in general even though my depression is a lot better these days.

Since the abcess appeared again, ive been brushing twice a day and using mouthwash, but there is no sign of it getting any better.

I dont know what to do. Please help

Hi Andy!

Welcome to the forum. I am so glad you have posted here because I know you will find support and great suggestions...plus sympathy, because we all have been in your situation, and plenty of us are still there, too!

I can understand how upsetting it is to be in a situation where you aren't sure what your next step should be. One of the first suggestions would be to probably call around to a few dentists and speak with them, or email and tell them your situation.

First, keep in mind though that dental issues are problems that DO have a solution. So please don't be hard on yourself...and never, never, never think about taking your own life. You have a tremendous value here on this planet and we all want to keep you here! Plus, as you share your experiences and suggestions with us as you progress through your treatment you help others as well. And frankly, I think that what's life is all about...lending a helpful hand!;)

Back