• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Fear Of Death...confronted

T

TMBen

super long post...so sorry!

So, like many people on here it seems, I have diagnosed anxiety disorders, as well as OCD, and sometimes panic attacks. I won't go into all the details over all this. But I'll say it's been health-focused anxiety and really kicked off last year with the pandemic. Recently, I found myself doing better and then bam...that tooth problem I always neglected reared its head again.

Two weeks ago I broke an already broken tooth where I had had a root canal a little over 10 years ago. Like many people, I never got a cap put on it and it just further decayed, but never hurt so I was able to put it out of my mind. I was always scared of going to the dentist and as the years went on I got more scared, fearing what they would say. But with the recent break, I thought I HAD to go. So I did.

During my first exam, I went to a pretty bad place, but it was the only one I could go to at the time. I was shaking nervously in the chair so much the overhead light thing was moving. Eventually, they explained I'd need the tooth extracted (which I expected) plus an upper wisdom tooth extracted (also expected). When I left I found out they would just be doing local anesthesia...and despite me telling them I was in no pain they threw an opioid prescription at me. That was enough for me to say NOPE and find a better place. So I did.

The next place did another exam, said basically the same thing, but then had to refer me to an oral surgeon cause they couldn't fit me into their schedule or something. I had to wait a full week. Last Monday was that appointment, and I went in again expecting the extraction. The lead-up was intense...panic attacks daily, uncontrollable anxiety and fear. It was horrible...some of the worst I have experienced in my life. But I was prepared...and ready. Aaaand then they told me they'd only be examining it that day. So they did that, and then scheduled the extraction appointment for today. So here I am.

Once again, the week waiting for this was insane. I learned I'd be doing IV deep sedation, and was absolutely terrified of what that meant. I was frantically googling every possible terrible outcome, and even when I didn't find many, my mind would make them up. My OCD crept in and make me constantly check other teeth for problems (oh yeah they informed me I'd have to do both upper wisdom teeth and my bottom broken root canal one). I had headaches, which I thought meant the infection that I apparently had was spreading. I mean, any issue you can have, I thought I did have. Up until last night I still felt I was essentially walking to my death. Going in this morning was hard, mentally, and even harder when they started hooking everything up to me. Heart monitor on my finger, wrapped around my arm, and three other ones on chest and side, then the IV, and oh yeah an oxygen tube for my nose. It was A LOT to take in. I was trying to relax, tried to ask so many questions...

Then they filled the drugs into the IV and...it felt like nothing happened. I remember them kinda going into my mouth, which lasted a couple of seconds and literally all of the sudden it was over with. I was taken out in a wheel chair and on my way home. What. It was as easy as so many people here have said it was. Was I conscious and asleep or what? No clue, but it didn't matter. I conquered my biggest fear with this! There was nothing to fear, and it was pretty instant.

Now of course I am at home recovering and trying not to work myself up more. I think I used and changed the gauze too many times so I stopped, and the bleeding doesn't seem crazy right now but it's hard say. Part of my lips are still numb and it's been like 7 hours...so that's worrying. And of course I am worried about complications. I'm trying to do all I can to make this easy, but so far I keep sliding slightly back into anxiety.

Long story short, it wasn't so bad! But anxiety is still a factor even afterwards, albeit to a much lesser extent.

Hi TMBen,

what a success story, thank you for sharing this with us! You have been very brave, give yourself a pat on the back! :jump: :jump: :jump:
Sounds like you're 5 days post-extraction now so hope you are recovering well and the dreaded DS didn't appear.
Also glad to read that your anxiety got less. Sometimes these things need few more attempts to dissolve. Will you go back to that place you liked?

Recovery has been easier than expected so far. No real pain, though there is some slight soreness when I wake up and if I’ve been talking a lot. But nothing unbearable. Haven’t had to open the narcotic they gave me in addition to the extra strength ibuprofen, so that’s nice. I don’t know when I can say it’s safe to eat normally? I’ve been being very cautious and haven’t had anything solid all week yet. No dry socket either, so I hope I’m out of the woods on that but I’m not sure.

for my procedure they did some thing called PRF, where they draw blood out of my arm, spin it really fast in a tube and then put it back in the hole where the tooth came out? Something like that. It supposedly helps prevent dry socket and speeds up healing. Don’t have anything to compare this to, but I’d say so far it’s working well.

I am anxious about going back for the wisdom teeth though. They are fully erupted and only on top, for what it’s worth.

I will say I am happy I did this. Not as scary as I thought it would be. Not by a long shot. And recovery for me so far has been a breeze.

Just had teeth pulled under IV on Tuesday andI have to agree - It's sooo easy, compared to doing it fully awake. I really with treatment like this was refunded (free) where I live - then I'd get all of my treatments like this. Unfortunately it costs quite a considerable amount, so I cannot afford to do it under IV every time but hey, the worst part is over! For you as well! :)
Also, had PFR done and comparing it with pervious extractions - the swelling came down a lot quicker and the pain was a lot less.

I feel like such a failure . I went in on the 26th for extractions under concious sedation . I was terrified . Apparently it did no good . The dentist couldnt do anything , even sedated I was screaming and moaning and flailing my arms and wouldnt let them near me . Hes now considering GA . Im just so devestated but Im proud of you all for doing it . Congrats !!

I feel like such a failure . I went in on the 26th for extractions under concious sedation . I was terrified . Apparently it did no good . The dentist couldnt do anything , even sedated I was screaming and moaning and flailing my arms and wouldnt let them near me . Hes now considering GA . Im just so devestated but Im proud of you all for doing it . Congrats !!
That sounds like so much to deal with. I hope you feel better by now.

super long post...so sorry!

So, like many people on here it seems, I have diagnosed anxiety disorders, as well as OCD, and sometimes panic attacks. I won't go into all the details over all this. But I'll say it's been health-focused anxiety and really kicked off last year with the pandemic. Recently, I found myself doing better and then bam...that tooth problem I always neglected reared its head again.

Two weeks ago I broke an already broken tooth where I had had a root canal a little over 10 years ago. Like many people, I never got a cap put on it and it just further decayed, but never hurt so I was able to put it out of my mind. I was always scared of going to the dentist and as the years went on I got more scared, fearing what they would say. But with the recent break, I thought I HAD to go. So I did.

During my first exam, I went to a pretty bad place, but it was the only one I could go to at the time. I was shaking nervously in the chair so much the overhead light thing was moving. Eventually, they explained I'd need the tooth extracted (which I expected) plus an upper wisdom tooth extracted (also expected). When I left I found out they would just be doing local anesthesia...and despite me telling them I was in no pain they threw an opioid prescription at me. That was enough for me to say NOPE and find a better place. So I did.

The next place did another exam, said basically the same thing, but then had to refer me to an oral surgeon cause they couldn't fit me into their schedule or something. I had to wait a full week. Last Monday was that appointment, and I went in again expecting the extraction. The lead-up was intense...panic attacks daily, uncontrollable anxiety and fear. It was horrible...some of the worst I have experienced in my life. But I was prepared...and ready. Aaaand then they told me they'd only be examining it that day. So they did that, and then scheduled the extraction appointment for today. So here I am.

Once again, the week waiting for this was insane. I learned I'd be doing IV deep sedation, and was absolutely terrified of what that meant. I was frantically googling every possible terrible outcome, and even when I didn't find many, my mind would make them up. My OCD crept in and make me constantly check other teeth for problems (oh yeah they informed me I'd have to do both upper wisdom teeth and my bottom broken root canal one). I had headaches, which I thought meant the infection that I apparently had was spreading. I mean, any issue you can have, I thought I did have. Up until last night I still felt I was essentially walking to my death. Going in this morning was hard, mentally, and even harder when they started hooking everything up to me. Heart monitor on my finger, wrapped around my arm, and three other ones on chest and side, then the IV, and oh yeah an oxygen tube for my nose. It was A LOT to take in. I was trying to relax, tried to ask so many questions...

Then they filled the drugs into the IV and...it felt like nothing happened. I remember them kinda going into my mouth, which lasted a couple of seconds and literally all of the sudden it was over with. I was taken out in a wheel chair and on my way home. What. It was as easy as so many people here have said it was. Was I conscious and asleep or what? No clue, but it didn't matter. I conquered my biggest fear with this! There was nothing to fear, and it was pretty instant.

Now of course I am at home recovering and trying not to work myself up more. I think I used and changed the gauze too many times so I stopped, and the bleeding doesn't seem crazy right now but it's hard say. Part of my lips are still numb and it's been like 7 hours...so that's worrying. And of course I am worried about complications. I'm trying to do all I can to make this easy, but so far I keep sliding slightly back into anxiety.

Long story short, it wasn't so bad! But anxiety is still a factor even afterwards, albeit to a much lesser extent.
I'm literally in your exact spot except I need my first root canal done on my front tooth, 1 impacted upper wisdom tooth, and 2 bad molars extracted. I'm aiming to get it done under iv sedation and ideally all at once. I've been a mess over the past week and a half, suffering extremely bad anxiety and feeling sick because both front tooth and wisdom tooth have been getting infected at the same time. I was on amoxicillin and clindamycin but now my stomach is messed up and I've been told to stop taking them. Now it's a race against the clock to find somewhere to help me.. I've called so many places only to be told i can't be seen until October or late September. Currently attempting to get into the dental school here. It's one of the two best ones in the US. I'll find out tomorrow.

Up until last night I still felt I was essentially walking to my death. Going in this morning was hard, mentally, and even harder when they started hooking everything up to me. Heart monitor on my finger, wrapped around my arm, and three other ones on chest and side, then the IV, and oh yeah an oxygen tube for my nose. It was A LOT to take in. I was trying to relax, tried to ask so many questions...

Honestly this is exactly where I am right now, I am afraid I am going to die under IV sedation for my fillings this Thursday.
But I know I got through it when I was 14 so I need to just go get it done again...

Your story is very reassuring, thanks for posting it! I hope I will have pretty much the exact same experience as you did.

@Mageris I hope you will keep us updated on yours as well! I'll have a story to share soon myself.

Back