• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety Queen No Longer (well maybe a little)

G

Former Member
[warning: parts of the following account may be triggering and upsetting to some. Please do not read if easily frightened. - admin]

Two small cavities, one regular cavity, and one big cavity down!

I still can't point out the exact source of my dental fear. Mainly it was all the novacaine shots. I also feared that my teeth were worse than they acutally were. Last I was afraid the dentist was going to laugh at me for being a wimp. Somehow I made it through all my fears and I'd like to share :)

First, how bad is my fear? They gave me laughing gas when I was getting my teeth cleaned! I got sick to my stomach with even the thought of a dentist. I would shake and just panic. I can't really discribe the fear but I can say that before I would rather have had a baby than go to the dentist.

My appointment was at 3:30 in the afternoon. I woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep. That gave me many many hours to work up my worry. I tried to do things that would get my mind off it like playing XBox and working on my college scrapbook. That helped a small amount. At 3:15 I got in my car and then remembered that I would have to get money (no insurance) from the atm. I ended up being late but I really didn't care. The receptionist tried to talk to me about Ireland to get my mind settled. I didn't really hear anything she said. Then the dentist came out and ushered me back to the poop green yellow room. I sat in the chair and once it started going back it really began.

The first thing they did was put the laughing gas on me. It wasn't doing anything at a medium low level so I told them to crank it up. They started putting the numbing gel on my gums and thats when I started panicking, knowing the shots were soon to follow. I closed my eyes but that didn't help. I was shaking uncontrollably (I tried to stop but couldn't) and I started crying. I didn't actually feel the needles go in (except for one in the roof of my mouth). However, I couldn't stop shaking and I could feel the needle being nudged around slightly. I think I had to have at least six shots. No matter what though, I knew that I wasn't going to die and anything that happened wouldn't kill me. Comforting, no? After the shots everything went well. They put the rubber dam on (which is nothing to worry about) and started drilling. I think I made them turn up the laughing gas before the drilling. The laughing gas was set as high as it could go and she wouldn't turn it up anymore because I'm 5'3 and aroun 103 pounds.

Anyway, the whole thing took almost three hours. The laughing gas made it seem like 15-30 minutes tops. Thats some great stuff. The drilling did not bother me at all. However, even with the laughing gas set on max the thought of a needle still made me shake. They also really pissed me off when they took off the laughing gas with drilling left to go! The tank had run out and they weren't going to go replace/refill it! That had to be the second worse part. I felt a little like I was doing drugs with the laughing gas but it helped so much!

So, I survived the encounter. If I had just gone in earlier there would have been a little tiny hole to drill and fill. Instead now one of my teeth next to my front tooth is 1/4th gone and replaced. I have to go back soon because they didn't put in the right color filling and I'm not going to be walking around with a multicolored tooth! I don't know if they will have to numb it back up but the dentist is going to fix it!

Out of all this I think the most important things to know are:

1.) GET LAUGHING GAS. It makes the time fly by and it really is relaxing. For some reason I thought it would be bad to make them turn it all the way up but who cares what they think? Do they have a phobia? Obviously not!

2.) Earlier is better. A little thing turned into a big thing. I should have done this three years ago when I first noticed something. If there is a cavity its going to be there whether you go to the dentist in a week or in a year or more. BUT if it is a year or more then it will be worse.

3.) If you have to cry and shake and panic then go ahead. If the dentist or hygenist do anything you don't like you can just take your money elsewhere. If you're giving them all that cash (or your insurance is) then you are the boss of them while you are in there. It doesn't matter what THEY think. It matters what you think and how you feel.

4.) I thought the color of my filling looked off but they said it wasn't. Well now I know it is and now I have to go back. I should have been more clear on what I wanted. I also should not let them continued without laughing gas. They said I probably didn't need it anymore anyway. HELLO! They were still drilling on my teeth, of course I still needed it.

Well, this is a little garbled, not my best work :) Man, you should have read the dramtic piece I wrote on here earlier describing my fear, titled "The Anxiety Queen." I truly thought my life was over and no one would ever love me just because of a couple of cavities. If anyone needs to talk just reply or email me. My fear is definately not quite conquered but I can smile without worrying (well once I get the filling color right). Plus now..who needs gum? I still need to get my wisdom teeth out but that is another thing entirely.

Back