• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious about everything

H

HighViolet10

Ugh why am I like this? I have extreme dental and medical phobia. My teeth cleaning last month was traumatic (it was my first 😞). I have four teeth needing filling and a wisdom tooth that needs to come out because of a cavity. I’m not in any sort of pain or discomfort with any of these as a reference. Like I wouldn’t even know they were there.

I had my appointment to get my first two molars filled today. I tried not to overthink it; went in telling myself it was going to be OK. Initially the laughing gas was helping but the longer I sat there i felt it to be suffocating and I felt more anxious. I was also just Really nervous about the cotton roles in my mouth because my anxiety gives me a fear of choking. I was hoping I didn’t need the cotton. My
Boyfriend had the same teeth filled recently and they didn’t use any cotton roll. Then they put the numbing cream in my mouth and I freaked out. I used to (and sometimes still do) Have severe panic attacks that make me feel like I’m choking. I freaked out and my heart rate went up so much I briefly passed out in the office 😞 I never got past the numbing cream.

they won’t do them now and referred me to an IV sedation dentist which with my medical phobia scares the daylights out of me like what if I don’t wake up etc. I’m legit at home crying right now because I feel like a fool at 39 and don’t think I’ll be able to get any of this work done between cost and fear. I asked the dentist if it could wait a awhile and she said it would be fine because they aren’t broken or cracked and to keep brushing, flossing, water picking.

I felt so embarrassed. I was already nervous enough about getting my
Wisdom tooth out in the coming months. They actually want me to get the other 3 taken out with it just because I have them and they think it’s weird I do. I am terrified of having to have the gauze in my mouth just like I’m terrified of the cotton rolls. The thought of IV sedation also scares me and I’m afraid I still won’t be able to get in the chair because I know cotton or gauze will be in my mouth. 😞 my jaw also tenses up when I’m anxious so I had to get panoramic X-rays on my initial visit because I was too afraid of putting the X-ray thing in my mouth and freaked out.

I don’t know what to do I’m so scared

i’m so sorry you’re going through this. i wish i had advice or tips but i just want to say that you’re incredibly brave for trying your best. going to the appointment at all is amazing. i’m really wishing you good luck for your journey, you have a cheerleader in me. things will work out and you will get past this!

Regarding IV Sedation, you are never put too sleep. The anesthesiologist working at the dental office I go too explained that you are deeply relaxed, will be aware of what is going on, but things won’t bother you. The medication also causes amnesia, so you won’t remember most, in some cases none, of what happened during the visit. There is an IV sedation section here, which can give you more details on what to expect.

@geos I'm so afraid of having the cotton in my mouth in general with my anxiety disorder that I don't think I'll even be able to get into the chair to attempt it :(

@HighViolet10 I'm so sorry you're feeling so anxious about your upcoming appointments. Remember, your dentist is highly experienced in these procedures and knows exactly what they're doing. You'll likely be awake during your sedation but super relaxed. And you won't choke on the cotton, I can assure you. I would recommend opting for the sedation, even if it's just a mild dose. It will make such a difference to how you're feeling. I still have a major fear of the dentist, but I know I'm not alone in this! This article helped me understand why I'm like this and what I can do to help myself through those panic moments https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/evolution-the-self/201802/how-overcome-dental-anxiety. Good luck!

Back