• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious about root canal

G

Grant

Hi
About 8 years ago I had a root canal treatment on a molar in upper left quadrant. Something went wrong, i’ve never been told what but after 2 years I was diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome. It took 2 years to get my pain under control. I was left with burning on left side of face above the trigeminal nerve, in mouth, tongue, lips and nose. It was under control with amitriptyline but I discontinued it 3 months ago to see if burning had resolved.

Cue last week and a toothache led to me being told I need a rct on a tooth in same quadrant. I’ve had a temporary filling put in and due to get the full rct in december. I’ve asked if the rct could be avoided and been told no and the only other option is an extraction. The anxiety it’s causing has been intense and has led to a resurgence of all my burning mouth symptoms, for which I’ve gone back on amitriptyline and waiting/hoping for these to build up again.

Given my history I’m really unsure what to do. The tooth would be visible in my smile so I don’t want to lose it, but I’m terrified that another rct will leave me in the same position. Honestly I don’t know what to do, I’m so scared I’m going to be in pain for years again. Any advice would be greatly received.

Last edited:
You seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm not really sure what advice I can give you. If the nerve is dead and you ned RCT, then the choice is that or extraction.

I can't think of anything during a RCT that would lead to burning mouth syndrome, if that's any consolation, it was most likely a coincidence.

Thanks @Gordon. Re the burning mouth, during the root canal 9 years ago I remember the dentist hit my nerve three times, almost making me jump out of the chair each time. About 5 days later I experienced agonising pressure like pain above the root filled tooth, (the worst pain I’ve ever experienced) after that my pain and burning started.

It had been under control for most of the last six years with alpha lipoic acid and amitriptyline, but I discontinued both recently to assess if i still needed them.

I was generally going fine but being told I need an rct has brought the burning all back as bad as it has ever been. I’m fairly sure its anxiety/panic related, triggered by needing the new procedure so trying to bring that under control, but I’m having daily panic attacks/crying about it, so much so I’m on diazepam to calm me down. I’ve gone back on the amitriptyline and ALA for a week, but am waiting and hoping that these will work again. I tried to tell the dentist the panic I was getting about this, and to ask/beg the dentist if they could just do a regular filling but been told only options are either RCT or extraction. My previous dentist knew my history, but she has left the practice so this is the first time I’ve seen this dentist.

I am due the procedure in december but wondering if I should bite the bullet and go private (I’m in the UK under nhs dentist), just to get either the RCT or extraction done sooner, then at least the anxiety and panic about it will be gone. I just don’t know what to do for the best. Part of me knows I’m being irrational about this, but I’ve had such a bad experience last time I’m terrified it’ll happen again and I’m going to be stuck with this burning for years more.

Last edited:
I am due the procedure in december but wondering if I should bite the bullet and go private (I’m in the UK under nhs dentist), just to get either the RCT or extraction done sooner, then at least the anxiety and panic about it will be gone. I just don’t know what to do for the best. Part of me knows I’m being irrational about this, but I’ve had such a bad experience last time I’m terrified it’ll happen again and I’m going to be stuck with this burning for years more.
Given the way dentistry is going in the UK at the moment, even a private dentist might not be able to see you this year. I'm having to wait till January to get my broken molar seen to! Privately by a friend... I've got no symptoms though so it's not a big deal.

Back