• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious and So Terrified I get nauseous

S

sweethart

Hello, I'm new here and just really looking for positive feedback and good stories. So, unfortunately I got dipped into the bad dental gene pool and have had to have numerous procedures done in my past. Many fillings, 4 root canals, and 4 wisdom extractions. But, on the positive note, I do still have all my teeth. I go to the hygienist every 6 months, I do the brushing, flossing, and rinse twice a day, I do what I can to protect my teeth. My concern though is, back when I was 17, I had to have 2 of those root canals with the silver crown. At the time and up until 7 years ago when one of the crowns slipped off, did I find out that those were temps and that I was suppose to of had perms put on. I was never told this for at the time of my procedures they spoke with my parents and never informed me. Well, they put it back on and I have found a great and sweet dentist who has taken care of me for the past 7 years. It didn't seem to be an issue until I developed a huge hole from the surface, up into the hole when she decided we need to go ahead and extract that one and the other that never got finished. I have severe panic/anxiety attacks that end up with me worrying so much that I get myself sick. (severe dental anxiety) Even though I have never had a bad experience, it's the thought that I might feel pain and she can't do anything to help it even though I'm sure she could and will. So we opted for conscious sedation for the fact she has to split the 2 teeth in half for the fact that I had very old root canals and that petrifies me!!! What if the sedation doesn't work, what if I feel pain and I can't tell her, I've never had sedation or a tooth split and I have to get them done because the second to last molar on top right is causing issue (not the one with the hole) where for the past month and a half there has been a constant (no taking breaks) ache in the gum above it and nothing makes it stop. My appt is in 2 weeks. Please help!!!

Sweetheart,

First off really good to hear you have a great and sweet dentist!! That is a great start... Very sorry about the pain, that is hard , especially when it is unrelenting and doesn't go away and you have to wait. Can you get on some kind of waitlist in case of cancels? I work for an eye clinic doing patient scheduling and we get cancels and people on waitlist in quite often, you never know.. then you might have to worry for less time and be in pain less time? I know its not always possible. but worth a shot? The waiting between appts , or the time you make appts and you go is the worst worry time.. I hope you might be able to get in sooner.

Well that is the unfortunate part. I can't really get a sooner appt due to my husband's schedule. He has to request off a week in advance and as of right now he is booked to work this next week. If I had others that wouldn't mind taking me, I would definitely do that. Their office though would certainly help me on that if I get the opportunity to have someone else take me. Thank you for your quick response though, it did help!!!

Hi...

i used to to get that same nauseous feeling but a couple of things have helped me out. One is to focus on breathing slowly through your nose/stomach while you're in the dental chair. Secondly, my dentist gives me Valium for anxiety one pill which I take to help sleep the night before and take a 2nd one a half hour before my appointment which really helps to take the edge off things. Getting in some decent form of cardio exercise the day before your appointment should help out also.

Hope some of this helps and best wishes!

Last edited:
Thank you, I definitely need to ask about that. Because anytime before an appointment I get like that, especially the night before. Appreciate it very much.

Back