• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious but OK.

13jules

Hi just want to say what an amazing forum this is and some lovely stories that help others to face the fear of going to the dentist.
Just a quick info about my dental story, terrified of dentists since I got my mouth cut from a brash school dentist doing a routine check up. This has led me to years of anxiety and a real fear. I have forced myself to attend usually after getting fed up with having pain and discomfort. To date I have numerous fillings, 2 root canals also 2 extractions. When I have an appointment I feel sick with fear for days even weeks. Reading some of the other stories on here I would also like to say that the fear and anxiety is probably worse than the procedure. For example my first tooth extraction 5 years ago I could not face having it taken out at the surgery so was referred to have it removed under sedation. This really helped I can barely remember it however I waited over 6 months in pain and with anxiety for the appointment. Last year I needed another extraction my dentist I have had for the past 4 years said easy I will do it here at the surgery no need to wait. Well I was beside myself I started crying when sat in the chair waiting for it to be removed. The first injection did hurt but only for a few moments the others stung a little. I waited to be numb then a few crunching noises and that was it out, just like that, a big molar. I have an extraction tomorrow morning and I guess my anxiety has led me here again just for those words of comfort from others to get me through. I am nervous but I'm OK. I will post back in a few days to let you know how I got on. Thanks for reading.

Hi @13jules and thanks so much for sharing! It sounds like you've come a long way in facing your fears and doing really well, in spite of what happened to you in the past. As you say, the anticipation is probably worse than the procedure, so it's good to focus on the relief you'll feel afterwards ?.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow, please post back and let us know how it went ?

Hi.
Wanted to post update to let everyone know how I got on.
Tooth was pulled last Monday with cyst attached. Night before did not sleep that well so tired in the morning. Some anxiety and thought of cancelling appointment like many on here have probably thought of doing but no it has to be done. Well got into the dentist chair heart pounding but no tears or shaking. My dentist made a joke of this and we laughed. Sat in the chair nervous but calmer than usual. Injections in, all 3 no pain just some discomfort maybe because I felt less tense. Felt nothing as drill used first then cracking sort of noise then out it came big molar, cyst and all. In, numbed and tooth out within about 10 minutes. Went home numbness wore off after about 2 hours then discomfort from site but not really pain. Didn't bother to take any pain relief. Over the next few days some discomfort a bit sore but did not need any pain relief. Now over a week onwards and fine. Toothache free.
Hope my little story will help some with anxiety and fear and show it may not be as bad as you think. Being anxious certainly makes things worse, having to wait to have sedation for tooth extraction to in and out with local within a few days. Please don't suffer with tooth pain out of fear its miserable.

Thanks for sharing. Ive had 10 roots out in the last 4 weeks over 2 appointments, plus i still have another extraction to go. Ive never had sedation so cant comment on this, but just having local anaesthetic really isnt bad at all. The anxiety and panick is definitely worst than the shots in my view, I am fortunate that all my shots have been painless so far (must have a good dentist) and although you can feel the liquid going into the gums, it really isnt bad at all. One the first drop goes in, you start going numb from there and once the shots are done you can relax and let them do the tooth pulling. I am very surprised at how much more comfortable dentistry is now and its only going to get better, nothing to worry about at all. Well done you :) All the best for your oral health!

Back