• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Any dentists or oral surgeons here ever try something like this to prevent dry socket?

B

Big_Baner

***CONTENT WARNING: video contains vivid scenes of wisdom teeth surgery***

Did a bit of research on this guy and apparently he's a pretty reputable doctor. Just wondered what your thoughts would be on this. If a patient came to you and requested this to be done, would you do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get you look for feedback from dentists, but I can't help myself. Some things that came to my mind as I looked at this:

He says at the beginning that DS appears in 50% of cases. That's a very high number and contradicts anything I have heard from reputable dentists I respect and trust.

Second thing I am skeptical about is him claiming to 'never had had a DS'. That's very daring thing to claim unless he monitors all his cases with a huge amount of perfectionism. If there is one case of someone who got a DS but went to a different dentist to get it treated then his statistic had failed and he isn't even aware of it.

Third thing is to claim that if you use this method you will 'never get' DS. The word 'never' has no place in any science, it should be all about evidence-based methods and replicateble approved research.

No background, no research, no real numbers, no references in the video.

Last but not least, if his method is that good then it hopefully got presented and promoted on professional confrerences for dentists. If my dentist / surgeon suggested to perform something he saw on You Tube, I would be out of the door in no time. I also hope my dentist would have a serious chat with me if I wanted him to perform any questionable procedure I saw on You Tube.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Enarete myself, Just watched it and I'm not a dentist but would be highly suspect.

Bollocks :)
I had a colleague who used a similar system, she got more dry sockets than I did and I didn't put anything in them :) So she stopped. We're talking over 100 extractions per week each, I reckon I got less than 1% dry sockets. She got maybe 10% when she was putting the goop in the socket.

Back