• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Any support welcome:( x

aimsx22

aimsx22

Heya
This is my first time posting, I don’t really know where to start, my teeth aren’t in great condition which started during my pregnancy with my son now 2.5yo, I need abit of work done to them, I’ve had to have some teeth removed which was really traumatic- I already have a massive phobia of the dentist.. the other night I broke a tooth really badly and am in agony, but due to the pandemic atm I was advised to take painkillers for 48hrs, I can’t dkeep because of the pain and tbh I’m just so down about how many tooth I’ve lost and how ugly my teeth are. I can’t talk to anyone about it but I’m so embarrassed and really feel so alone. I only found this group tonight but just feel like I need someone that understands.
Thanks if you managed to make it this far x

Hi aimsx22,

so sorry to read your extremely difficult situation. Toothache with dental anxiety with a Corona crisis are very challenging circumstances. Please let me try to ad some light of hope:
Without examining you, it sounds to me the pain you have is self-limiting meaning it will improve within days. In the meanwhile, the pain is the biggest concern right now and taking a non steriodal anti inflammatory UCB as Ibuprofen or Advil or nurophen every 6 hours should keep the levels of the painkillers in the blood circulation in a therapeutic level.
Again, it will improve within days.

Heya Dr.Daniel

Thankyou so much!! What should I do about the one half of my tooth that’s really wobbly and loose? It’s still stuck in my gum and I’m not managing to eat because of it ??

huge thanks for the reply

For that you need a dentist. The dangling part of the tooth can not be simply cemented back cause no cement is strong enough for the forces applied with chewing. The dentist as a first aid can take out only the mobile part (not the entire tooth) and smooth any sharp edges.
Some dentists would consider it an emergency (because you cannot eat on the tooth) some wouldn’t (because it is not a classical toothache).

Thankyou so much for all your help, I really appreciate it.
many thanks x

Hello,
I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to DFC! :grouphug:
Sorry to read that you are going through such a difficult time right now...the world is stressful enough right now without extra things being added on top of it! It’s unfortunate to read that you had previous traumatic experiences with extractions. I am not a dentist but I would imagine that because this tooth is already broken/loose, it should come out fairly easily. I hope your pain has lessened some and you have been able to get some relief. This may be a good time to start researching some places near you so that you can have a plan once everything re-opens for business. I know some places are open for emergencies only but they seem to have a very strict criteria as to what is classified as a dental emergency.

hello,
Aww wow Thankyou soo much! It’s so nice to have other people understand what it feels like!! I phoned the dentist today again which I was told to do if it hadn’t improved and they phoned nhs24 on what they should do next as if done everything they’ve suggested and I got put through to the emergency dental clinic that said it’d need extracted, but they read out the criteria and as I’m not losing a lot of blood with it or swollen they suggested I try and pull it out myself, i was advised this earlier on this week aswell but the pains to unbearable to touch it, so iv just kept wobbling it, Thankyou so much for your help and kind words, I really appreciate it

x

hello,
Aww wow Thankyou soo much! It’s so nice to have other people understand what it feels like!! I phoned the dentist today again which I was told to do if it hadn’t improved and they phoned nhs24 on what they should do next as if done everything they’ve suggested and I got put through to the emergency dental clinic that said it’d need extracted, but they read out the criteria and as I’m not losing a lot of blood with it or swollen they suggested I try and pull it out myself, i was advised this earlier on this week aswell but the pains to unbearable to touch it, so iv just kept wobbling it, Thankyou so much for your help and kind words, I really appreciate it

x

Wow...I am very surprised that any professional would ever recommend extracting the tooth on your own...that just never even occurred to me as being a potential option! I’m literally shocked right now. I would think trying to do it yourself could potentially cause more damage...not to mention the pain control aspect...and infection control issues..that’s just so crazy to me! Sending you lots of positive vibes for comfort and fast healing!

aimsx22,

Hi , I know I"m late to the post but wow.. feel so bad for all you are going through and to do it in this time when help seems so unreachable.. I'm with Kitkat that I can't imagine a dentist telling someone to pull it out on their own just like that.. and its not quite so easy.. eeks. I don't even know what to say other than I hope a miracle comes your way and you can get it taken care of quickly. :grouphug:

Wow.. I can only agree with kitkat and krlovesherkids.. advising you to remove a painful wobbly tooth.. wow. I guess everyone is so stressed right now and even dental care professionals might not be sure how to deal with it and that might be when some strange advice take place.

Hugs from me too, take care, keep us posted and may you get help soon in however way.

@kitkat
Yeah I never thought a dentist would suggest that but that was two different ones both suggesting it:/! And the first one advised doing it with tweezers! Just make sure that I clean them well first!! as if tweezers is going to be an ounce of help:/ yeah I thought the risk of infection and making it even worse would be a total no, but things must be seriously desperate! :( Thankyou so much lovely♥

@krlovesherkids777

Hiya aw Thankyou, yeah neither did I, my husband heard it on both separate occasions and looked at me asking if they were for real, which they were.. the second one that said it told me how I should rock it back and forth for awhile and it’ll gently slacken in the gum and then to quickly twist it! There’s no way I’d beable to due to the pain. it sounds medieval!! Thank you I’m praying for a miracle too, but tbh it sounds like I’m just going to have to put up with it until everything’s back to normal unless it starts to swell or bleed badly as that’s the criteria they’re using for giving treatment atm. Bless, thankyou♥ X

@Enarete
Yeah, I totally understand the stress right now, it’s hell? I work in healthcare and everythings just crazy, but it actually scared me more them both saying that:/!! Like this is what it’s come too.. getting advised to remove your own teeth at home!:/ no I don’t think they have a clue what to do atm as the first dentist done what the government’s advising- ibuprofen and paracetamol for 48hrs, if no improvement phone back and they prescribe diclofenac, if no improvement then to phone back again which I did and the dentist I spoke to had to phone nhs24 what they should do next as theyd followed all the guidelines, so that’s when nhs24 told them to get the emergency dentist that’s open to phone and speak to me. sorry pretty much wrote a book there lol! Thankyou so much, I will do hun♥ Tbh I think I’m just going to have to wait it out :( xx

Wow, I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I cannot believe you were advised to extract the tooth yourself!
I am also shocked that they don’t consider that an emergency! Yikes!

I am also shocked you been advised to extract your tooth yourself

@MountainMama
me neither, I thought thatd be the last thing they’d recommend :( I don’t understand why they won’t do it despitethe current situation! Thankyou so much x

@Thephilsblogbar
Me too :( it’s really gotten to me tbh and I feel like an idiot for being unable to do it :(

**UPDATE**
Today the centre part of my tooth has came out, so there’s a huge hole in the middle, one sides still totally unmoveable in my gum, and the other side it’s completely loose :( at a complete loss on what to do as despite being told twice to take it out myself, I just can’t due to the pain. Feeling so low and fed up over it all now :( Thanks for everyone’s kind words, really appreciate it x

:grouphug:

Aimsx22,

Aghhh.. so sorry to hear this.. this must be really anxiety producing I know I probably would be thinking of it 24/7 without much time to rest.. Is it painful right now? or you mean it would be painful to remove it? I wish there was some way to relieve you .. I wouldn't take my own tooth out either , just couldn't imagine..

I am so sorry. How awful. I can’t even imagine trying to remove it myself. That is what anesthesia is for. There is no way I could do it.
I am still absolutely amazed that it doesn’t constitute an emergency. I was at my dentist last week to get an implant crown put in because here, it was considered urgent since my two surrounding teeth were shifting. He was worried the crown wouldn’t fit if we waited.