• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Any way to know for sure pain is due to AFP?

M

MountainMama

My upper left canine has been hurting the past few days…aching and pain up into my nose. The tooth mostly doesn’t hurt when biting, but I will occasionally get a jolt at weird times, like when it scraped against the tooth under it.
My atypical facial pain is usually only on the right side. It also usually feels more like burning or an aching tingling, if that makes sense. This feels different, BUT the tooth is a virgin tooth. The premolar behind it and the lateral incisor next to it are virgin teeth as well.
I feel like I am going crazy again. The dentist is closed for the Thanksgiving holiday week.
Please tell me it is most likely the AFP! It hasn’t bothered me at all while sleeping. Painful to the point of distraction most of the day.

Given that the teeth are virgin then balance of probabilities would suggest that it's AFP.

Given that the teeth are virgin then balance of probabilities would suggest that it's AFP.
Thanks Gordon. I really hate this. I always freak myself out. I am used to the pain on the right now. I can usually talk myself down, but with it hurting in a whole new area, my anxiety got the best of me. I just needed someone else to tell me it was most likely AFP.

Have you ever been prescribed something by your GP for atypical facial pain or atypical odontalgia? There are some good medications out there. The tricyclic antidepressants, anti-convulsants and the benzodiazepine drugs. They really help with pain that is not truly dental in origin. My pain moves from one tooth to another. It is sometimes dull/ achy and sometimes zaps of electric/sharp pain. Nothing in particular triggers it. I have found help in some doctor prescribed medications. Good luck.

Have you ever been prescribed something by your GP for atypical facial pain or atypical odontalgia? There are some good medications out there. The tricyclic antidepressants, anti-convulsants and the benzodiazepine drugs. They really help with pain that is not truly dental in origin. My pain moves from one tooth to another. It is sometimes dull/ achy and sometimes zaps of electric/sharp pain. Nothing in particular triggers it. I have found help in some doctor prescribed medications. Good luck.
I am trying to avoid medication for as long as possible. I don’t always have typical reactions with medications. I also don’t like the side effects.

Have you tried acupuncture MM? There's no solid evidence that it works but it doesn't have any side effects and some anecdotal evidence is that it works well.

Have you tried acupuncture MM? There's no solid evidence that it works but it doesn't have any side effects and some anecdotal evidence is that it works well.
I have not. I will have to look into it, although I am not crazy about needles. ? I don’t know that there are any options for acupuncture anywhere near where I live though. It is a very rural area. The closest “city” that may have it is a few hours away. It may be worth it if it works.

I used to do it. Oddly enough there are some positions to insert the needles in order to help with needle phobia! It could work very well for gagging and for TMJ problems.

I used to do it. Oddly enough there are some positions to insert the needles in order to help with needle phobia! It could work very well for gagging and for TMJ problems.
Interesting! I will definitely look into it. I would prefer not to take medication so if something else helps, it is worth a try!

Let me know how you get on if you do try it.

Let me know how you get on if you do try it.
I will. I can’t find anyone local, but I am going to ask around and see if anyone knows someone within 2 hours.

Back