• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

anyone else have issues with male dentisit?

• Thread starter glasgowprincess
  • Start date
G

glasgowprincess

hiya,

well i have had a dental phobia for about 7yrs. i have never had a male dentist (simply cos i have always had one of a female job share)

i got chucked out that practice for non attendance years ago.

anyway in the sumer i was assaulted my 2 men, and so now not aonly do i have a dental fear i have a male fear.
:(
anyone else the same?

thanks

Many people do fear the same, although I am not one of them im afraid so cant really offer you any advice, if you have a look round there may be more stories for you to read here with people that have been through the same thing :grouphug:

I think your right Nat, Im sure I read a post last week from a girl who was sadly raped, and had the same problem, I will have a look for you glasgowprincess and see if I can find it again :XXLhug:

j x

I have issues with male dentists (sorry chaps!) I really try not to and right now I'm trying to be open to any dentist. I've only ever managed to undergo any treatment with a female dentist. I wouldn't feel bad about it just look for a female dentist call it a preference :)

I had a bad experience as a child age 9 with a male dentist and didn't go to a dentist for about 8 years. i found a wonderful female dentist who helped me a lot. My current dentist is female and I really trust her I've been seeing her for about 8.5 years now. She is really sympathetic towards my concerns and does her best to help me, she always lets me listen to a cd walkman if I need treatment. I feel really comfortable with her.

Your fear seems very rational seeing the traumatic experience that you went through. Is it possible for you to see a female dentist? Being in the dental chair and feeling helpless for some people is hard enough but adding an experience where you were assaulted would obviously make this worse. If you are comfortable talking with the dentist about your issue, I would do so. Hopefully they can ease your anxiety and not trivialize your situation.

I am truly sorry and good luck.

Cheers,
Adia

Forgive me, but there seems to be a male/female thing going on here when it comes to seeing dentists.  It seems to me that some men feel better with a female dentist and some women feel better with a male one.  
I also wonder sometimes, after having had a terrible experience with a female dentist, whether some dentists can be biased in favour of the opposite sex.  
There is also a misconception that because dentists might be female, that means they must automatically be kind, empathetic and compassionate towards patients and generally better with people than men are.  This may well be the case in many dental surgeries.  
I want though, as a woman, to challenge this assumption.  
However, having said that, I have no doubt that there are women dentists who are caring and compassionate - but there are men like that too, who also care about their patients and who have empathy for how they feel.  
Please don't let someone's gender deceive you.  You can't judge a person by that alone.  

You are right in that it is important to check out the dentist's compassion, understanding and qualifications, not just their gender. I was just thinking about the traumatic experience. Glasgowprincess hope you find the right dentist that is attentive to your needs.

Thanx,
Adia

I think it's very much a matter of personal preference. All my bad experiences had been with male dentists, and yet I still prefer a male dentist. So yeah, I reckon sex/gender can be very important - it's not about judging people, but about who you personally feel comfortable with.

Back