• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone had their wisdom teeth removed past the age of 30?

Susanne

Susanne

Has anyone had their wisdom teeth removed past the age of 30? If so, what was the recovery period like and how long did it take for you to feel more or less "normal" again?

I've always been told the teens and 20s are the best time to get them removed and that the procedure and recovery tend to be more difficult in the 30s and beyond. I've read so many horror stories about nerve damage, dry sockets, permanent numbness, painful recoveries, etc. that I'm feeling really nervous about having mine out. I assume the dentist I am going to would not have agreed to remove them and would've referred me to an oral surgeon if he thought mine were particularly complicated, but I still can't help worrying.

I got mine out circa age 40, and it went fine, just like yours isn’t likely to go.

And be careful about believing the hype about dry sockets.

I got 2 of mine out past 30 and they were easier than the ones in my 20s. None were hard . except finding out I was allergic to codeine on the first ones.

Back