• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

anyone have an aveoloplasty done?

B

babyblue

Can't stop having panic attacks

I found out Tuesday that I needed my 4 top teeth on top pulled out. But the worst part was that needed to do an aveolopasty done as well for the dentures. My dentist only uses novacaine. The surgery is for next Tuesday....and I can't stop having panic attacks. I can even eat or sleep. I ty to convince myself that the surgery is not today and just enjoy the day....but I can't.
My husband went to an oral surgeon and he is trying to convince me that I might be better off going that route. I know they gave him an IV and a gas mask. I am not sure if that is IV sedation or GA. truthfully I don't know wHat GA is to know what the risks are.
I so petrified and confused. from what I have heard the aveolplasy is a simple procedure....but I just can't do it while aware. Help:cry:

Re: Can't stop having panic attacks

Hello Baby blue.
I understand how scary it sounds.I had 14 teeth extracted all with just being numb....and for some reason the thought of pulling the front ones scarde me the most...but it was completely painless:)and the front ones come out so much easier than the back teeth because there isen't as much root....I had my top 6 on front pulled with just numbing and in total it only took about 10-15 minutes to extract them all....I am saying this to try and reasure you that ...yes it sounds scary allmost impossiable but it is painless and hardly and discomfort afterwards.
I know that you can do this....but if you think an oral surgen would be better for you ...then that is definatly the root you should go.
Good luck and try not to worry everything will be fine and you will feel so much better once its over:hug2:

Does your Dentist work with people who might need to take something to relax for Dental work? I know my hubby used to take Halcion and really he didn't care what the dentist did with that. There's also ativan and Valium if that's a possibility for you. You could go the general anesthesia route with someone else if you feel that would make you more confortable. Personally I have anxiety over being sedated so I just go with the injections Local but there's times I've envied those who were getting to sleep through procedures. It all depends on what would help your anxiety. Do what's going to be best for you and what will allow you to feel the most comfortable and safe.

Does your Dentist work with people who might need to take something to relax for Dental work? I know my hubby used to take Halcion and really he didn't care what the dentist did with that. There's also ativan and Valium if that's a possibility for you. You could go the general anesthesia route with someone else if you feel that would make you more confortable. Personally I have anxiety over being sedated so I just go with the injections Local but there's times I've envied those who were getting to sleep through procedures. It all depends on what would help your anxiety. Do what's going to be best for you and what will allow you to feel the most comfortable and safe.

I went to my primary care doctor for the anxiety. He put me on Lorazapam....um yeah. The pills are for insomnia, but I feel like washing the kitchen floors. I tried valium years ago, but they did nothing for me. That is what the dentist gave me to take an hour before my appointment. So, I am not feeling too confident with that. Which is really leading me to believe I should be put to sleep. Is that what GA is?
UHHHH, I just wish this was over with. I am so tired of thinking about it. It is absorbing my life. I just can't stop being petrified.:cry:

I feel for you and have a couple of suggestions. First, I would say that Xanax is really effective for panic attacks and a lot of dentists can prescribe it. They will help you sleep the nights before and of the procedure. I am one of those who is afraid of meds, but Xanax can be a good friend in time of need.

Best wishes!

joAnn

So scared and depressed

I had a tooth that broke from a nut. The dentist said he could try to save it but he did not know how long it would last....a week,a month or a year. Well, I played it safe and didn't use it. But Monday, I had to have it extraction after a long weekend of it swelling up and causing me a lot of discomfort.
48 hours after the extraction, the swelling did not go down and the area around the extraction site was burning. I called my dentist and he said it was a low grade infection. My problem is that one of the teeth next to the extraction site feels funny. I hope it is just because of the extraction, I didn't have a problem with this tooth before. But as soon as he pulled the tooth, man I could feel this other tooth.
I am just so scared I am going to have another tooth extraction. Has anybody had an infection at an extraction site. I need to know how the other teeth felt during this infection.
I have had 5 teeth pulled in 2 weeks and am losing confidence in my teeth at this point.

Re: So scared and depressed

I had something similar, I was petrified the wrong tooth had gone, although she showed me the bloody tooth and tried to point out the abcsess but Id rather not look at the time, felt too sicky/worked up, so I know she got the right tooth.. but then I started to panic that it was yet another tooth that needed to come out, so I ended up getting obsessed with it all!
I had quite a bit of pain, the dentist said she caught the abcsess just in time. I think its just with all the tugging that went on tbh, it all felt a bit weird in that area for a few days, and the pain was worse than I expected (Id had a previous extraction - a wisdom out about 4 years ago and felt nothing the day after that, so expected the same again).

I would say not to worry and just keep an eye on things :)

Nikki.

I had this procedure done 4 weeks today on my four upper front teeth. The gums are still sore and it feels like switching on both sides of my nose. My husband is trying to tell me that it is the nerves and that nerves take longer to recuperate. Has anyone else had this procedure done, did you feel the switching as well? I am so tired of the soreness....is there relief in sight

Nobody has has an aveoloplasty done? :cry: I am going into week six...and still feel no better:cry:
I know this was surgery, but I am getting so depressed now. My face still feels swollen and I still have the twitching. I don't even want to go out of the house. I wish I never had this done.

Sad to hear that... I don't even know what aveoloplasty is... My English is not that good since English is not my mother tongue. Would it feel better to ask a dentist about it? Go to the questions answered section where there are dentists to answer your questions in a few days. Really nice dentists too. :)

I do hope you're feeling better soon. Could you build up the courage to phone your dentist? Maybe somethings wrong? He/she could check it up for you. Maybe it could be taken care of really easy!

Hugs! :XXLhug:

Back