• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone here had a bottom 1st molar extracted?

B

BlacJAC

I know, stupid question because there will be folk who have. I've been told it's not a good idea to get those teeth removed.

Tooth crowned due to crack on a large filling (crack limited to filling only). Crown waaaay too high and needed around 7 adjustments. Too late, tooth began to die and 1st stage of rct started. Calmed down for 2 weeks then suspected flare up. New meds put into tooth. Calmed down again for 2 weeks and began to get sore again, this time rct completed. That was just over 2 weeks ago. Tooth was completely fine. For the last 3 days it's irritated and hurting again. So much so, my teeth on either side of it are hurting at times too. The gum seems to be the worse. It nips between the teeth badly and the tooth is sensitive to percussion. Doesn't hurt to bite at all, but everything irritates the gum surrounding the tooth and between those teeth. Even water.

Last 2 days I've began to get migranes and those coupled with toothache are thoroughly depressing. Dentists says the tooth does not look infected and rct looks good. In fact 3 dentists have said that. My dentist has given me antibiotics to take over Christmas IF things get worse, but been instructed not to take them if it just remains as it is. Just remaining as it is is still all consuming.

If i hold on after Christmas I want the tooth out if things remain as they are even though my dentist said I shouldn't get it out as there's nothing wrong with it. If there's nothing wrong with it, why the migraines and the toothache? Easy for others to say that when it's not them sitting at home in awful discomfort and getting migranes and can barely eat or drink in fear it irritates the area.

I do have a clenching problem, quite a bad one in fact. It's what cracked my tooth in the first place. But I wear a gum shield. Been told it could be the ligament or nerves underneath, but why does it always settle for 2 weeks after treatment then play up? It eventually aches when I lay on that side. The same pressure i got with the pulpits before I got the rct. Though it no longer feels like an ice pick getting shoved through my cheek.

I can't see an endodontist because there are only 4 in Scotland and the ones in my city are seeing no one due to covid. So I'm stuck with a general dentist.

Symptoms;

Seal looks good around crown
No sign of infection * x ray only
No sensitivity
No biting pain
Tooth throbbing on and off
Some sharp pains periodically around the gum
pressure like discomfort when laying that side face down/goes away when i turn around
All food and drink irritates the tooth or gums other than salt water and toothpaste. The gums get irritated around two of the teeth either side of it to. But gums look healthy according to dentist.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I had that same issue, but with my upper 2nd molar. Exactly as you described, except I ended up getting an apicoectomy at my endodontist as she thought that would solve the problem. She was mystified when it didn’t because the tooth looked great in x rays and my dentist and even an oral surgeon said the root canal looked perfect. I ended up having it extracted and it solved the problem. The oral surgeon said that the tissue under the tooth was irritated (he called it angry).
I clench my teeth at night and have for years. I have a night guard now but it is a little too late. I also have atypical facial pain which was diagnosed after I had two molars extracted that may not have needed it (lower first and second molar on right). Dentist thought they were cracked and endodontist said they most likely needed a root canal but I was done with root canals after two failed ones so I chose to extract and get implants.
I just had my other lower first molar on the left extracted Thursday. It was cracked and had a large filling. I was confident that it was a crack this time and not neuralgia as the tooth was heat and cold sensitive. I am going to get an implant for that one as well. I am missing the upper 2nd molar on that side (the one that was like yours) and my surgeon recommended not to replace it...said I wouldn’t miss it and he was right.

Back