• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone living without bottom molars?

J

Joe311

I am new to the group, so this may be in the wrong area. I am trying to find others out there who have managed without any molars, or missing molars.

Yesterday I had my last lower bottom left side molar extracted. In a few weeks I am going to get my last lower right side molar extracted as well. I still have one molar on top of my mouth on each side.

I don’t have any interest in implants due to severe jaw damage years ago from a car accident so that is out of the question.

Do any of you have lower partials for just the lower molar areas? Do any of you just simply live without bottom molars? What is it like eating after the gums have healed and are you able to manage? I’ve looked for specific answers to this, but just keep coming up on threads about full dentures. If anyone out there has any advice or info I’d love to hear it. Im not afraid of this new adjustment at all. I’m kind of just wondering where to go from here.

Last edited:
I got a 1st molar pulled on my lower right for about 15 years now. If I had $2000 at the time I could've saved it. But I didn't know anything like bone loss then. If I knew, I would arrange to have the work done to keep it.
If you can, try and save your molar. Once you lose too much teeth, the denture will be hard to use, as the gums and ridge will shrinks.

Last edited:
I got a 1st molar pulled on my lower right for about 15 years now. If I had $2000 at the time I could've saved it. But I didn't know anything like bone loss then. If I knew, I would arrange to have the work done to keep it.
If you can, try and save your molar. Once you lose too much teeth, the denture will be hard to use, as the gums and ridge will shrinks.

I can’t save either tooth. Both developed cavities down in the roots and by the time I felt it or even noticed it they had grown too big. I tried getting root canals, but the holes are so big it wouldn’t work. One I already had pulled. It’s not a financial thing for me. When I was 19 I was thrown from a car at 70mph and landed on the pavement. That really shifted my jaw and roots of my teeth. I’m 33 now and unfortunately some of the past damage has really beat up some of my lower roots and jaw surround them. Thanks for the advice though!

If it’s the farthest molar in the back, my Dentist said you can live without it. Most people don’t even use them to chew. I had that removed awhile ago and frankly never missed it. But if it’s the second molar from the back, you should try to find someone to repkace it. You get bone loss and also stress the teeth and jaw on the opposite side from only chewing on one side. I just got a whole permanent bridge removed so that wiped out 3 back teeth. It’s doable, but not without consequences down the road from what I’ve read.

Hi there. I had my left lower molar out 5 weeks ago and my right lower molar our 2 weeks ago still finding it extremely strange eating. Did you have any problems after? The older extraction is still throbbing for me...

Back