• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

anyone tried laughing gas before?

Freyja

Freyja

Tomorrow is the big day where I am getting top wisdom teeth taken out and I will be on the laughing gas stuff for the first time and I don't really know what to expect and that alone makes me very anxious alongside my already bad anxiety about having some teeth extracted.
last month I chickened out and didn't get it done and well I am getting it through my head that I will not do that to myself again and it is only a hour at the dentist, so that is basically nothing..

It would be really nice to know what to expect with the gas, anyone care to share their experience with it if you have experienced it of course? I would be super grateful for it
thank you

It's VERY important to only breathe through your nose, or the effects will be absent or minimized. I had to use a child's nose attachment, because too much leaked out the sides, but I imagine that most adults do well with the regular one. When properly anaesthetized, I would feel a literal sort of "buzz", where everything felt odd. Not at all unpleasant though, and would cause me to drift in and out of what was happening around me. I had gas on almost every visit in my teens and 20's, so probably about 50 times in all. Only if there was pain, or the procedure was over, would I come to. I really liked gas a lot, and it relaxed me tremendously. I didn't mind going to the dentist in those years, because of the gas, and I think that you'll like it too.

It's VERY important to only breathe through your nose, or the effects will be absent or minimized. I had to use a child's nose attachment, because too much leaked out the sides, but I imagine that most adults do well with the regular one. When properly anaesthetized, I would feel a literal sort of "buzz", where everything felt odd. Not at all unpleasant though, and would cause me to drift in and out of what was happening around me. I had gas on almost every visit in my teens and 20's, so probably about 50 times in all. Only if there was pain, or the procedure was over, would I come to. I really liked gas a lot, and it relaxed me tremendously. I didn't mind going to the dentist in those years, because of the gas, and I think that you'll like it too.

thank you so much for the reply and sharing your experience. I will definitely keep that in mind with having to just breath through nose, will be hard I imagine as I normally take deep breaths when anxious but if the gas is supposed to calm me, I hope I will be okay

I have had laughing gas with the extractions and surgeries I have had done last year and this year. One thing to know is that you will be aware of what is going on but you can “tune in and out”, so to speak. To me, when it first hits, I start feeling a little floaty and my legs tingle. Then it feels like right before you fall asleep, when you are aware but almost asleep. When the surgeon walks in, after I have been on the gas for about 5 minutes or so, I can talk with him and remember it, but I am calmer.
If you feel nothing out of the ordinary after it has been on for awhile, make sure to speak up. You may need a higher titration.
Like LittleLynnie said, breathe through your nose, and take deep breaths in and out slowly. The flip side of that is that if you feel too out of it, you can breathe through your mouth and the effects lessen immediately.

Freyja,

I haven't had laughing gas in 40 years so don't remember much, but just wanted to say I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow . Its hard to do something new and you are courageous to go and do what are you! Let us know how it goes. My previous dentist used to try to get me to try it but I like just local :). the fact he thought it would help was reassuring though. Hope all does well!

Gas works well on me when I last had it 25+ years ago and totally does nothing for my wife even at the highest amounts.

thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it so so much. I absolutely loved the gas, It took awhile to feel anything but once I did, I was having a great time there

VERY happy (no pun intended) to hear that!

Back