• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone up for designing a Dental Fear Central Poster?

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
We would love to see a poster advertising Dental Fear Central designed.

The idea would be that it would be downloadable from the website and then people could help by advertising the website and forum by distributing posters in their local areas - for example, in libraries, GP surgeries, community noticeboards, universities, community centres, etc. Mike Gow also suggested that a good place for the posters to go up would be in the A&E dept of hospitals/dental hospitals, and at the Out of Hours Emergency Dental Clinics in Hospitals. Not sure about the US/Canada/Australia etc. equivalents to these places, but you'll get the gist.

The moderation team has already put together the text we would like to use for the poster (though if anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to incorporate them). There are 2 versions, varying in length:

(1) Do you feel like hiding behind the sofa whenever someone mentions the word DENTIST?
Are you embarrassed about the state of your teeth and gums?
Have you had previous bad experiences? Are you an abuse survivor?
Has it been a long time since you last saw a dentist?
Are you too embarrassed even to confide in your closest friend?

If so you could be suffering from dental anxiety or dental phobia. You are not alone.
Our website Dental Fear Central can help you move forward at your own pace to overcome your fear.

www.dentalfearcentral.org
WE CAN HELP....BECAUSE WE'VE ALSO BEEN THERE.....log on today!

(2) Are you terrified of dentists?
Are you too embarrassed even to confide in your closest friend?

You are not alone!
Dental Fear Central can help you move forward at your own pace to overcome your fear.

www.dentalfearcentral.org
WE CAN HELP....BECAUSE WE'VE ALSO BEEN THERE.....log on today!

Version (2) might be easier to read from a distance. I can also supply various logos (including our trademark dragon/crocodile/or whatever else it might be :p).

Would anyone like to have a go at designing one (or two, or three ;))?

Thanks in advance :)!

Hmm sounds like something else to try besides videogames:p I might actually be able to use my year long class in microsoft word hehehehe....:rolleyes:

I sorta made a rough draft of one and sent it by attachment so it should be in your inbox:)

I do this stuff at work all the time for our local hospital-- give me a couple of days and I might have something for you. Maybe I can work on it Monday after my dentist appointment-- talk about inspiration! ;D

I sent a rough draft of one I came up with to your email again so it should work this time.:)

Attachments

• dfc poster.doc
    259 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks mikey and Charity and anyone else who's submitting their ideas (we can use various posters and people could pick the one they like best for their area :))! I'll increase the attachment size so that you can all post your ideas here. All the best for your dentist appointment tomorrow, Charity :thumbsup:!!

I've attached some dragons in case anyone needs them!

Attachments

• dragon.gif
    dragon.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
  • dragon1.jpg
    dragon1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 2
I attached it to my previous post letsconnect do you have any ideas for making it better?:):confused::)

Just done a couple of quickie posters, saved in Publisher 2003 format but also in case they are OK saved them as jpgs so they can be downsized to A5 easily. My problem now is to attach them. As I said, problem, they've come up as invalid for some reason. Back to the drawing board!

Oops, I should have mentioned that they need to be .pdf or .doc documents... you can't attach .pub ones... is it possible to convert it into a pdf or doc file?

I think pdf files would be best because they're the same on everyone's computer :) (whereas not everyone has publisher and Microsoft word has this habit of displaying differently from computer to computer/printer to printer)

I'm on it as I read!!

Okay here I go again, converted to Word in 2003 format, my poster no. 2 but seem to have lost or should I say, temporarily mislaid (I do hope) my first one which I was quite proud of although as I say it was a quickie one.

Attachments

• dentalposter1 from jpg.doc
    331 KB · Views: 10
Here I go again, had to start poster No. 1 from scratch as when I tried to convert to pdf it went up in a puff of smoke so to speak. Here it is as jpeg.

Attachments

• dental poster.jpg
    dental poster.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 16
Wow - these are great - big thank yous to mikey and SS ;D (and anyone else who is busy designing :thumbsup:!).

mikey, cool idea about the background thingy, I hadn't come across that before! One suggestion might be to make the text in colours that can be read more easily from further away :).

SS - love those colours and fonts :). It also seems to be easy enough to read from further away (though I haven't actually printed them out and tried it yet). One minor thing - and maybe I'm alone in this - but I prefer to leave out any "overt" references to teeth, such as toothbrushes... would it be possible to use a different smiley instead of the toothbrush one??

Very cool :party:!!!

Oh another thought that has occurred to me - as not everyone has a colour printer, black-and-white posters would be really good, too :)

At this rate, we'll have a whole poster collection which people can pick and choose from :thumbsup:!

Myn would be more creative but my computer is old:devilish: and my parents wont let me use their computer.

I adore SS's its really good.;)

Here's another very slightly different version, in jpeg format.

Attachments

• dental poster2.jpg
    dental poster2.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 9
Wow. Those are some great posters, folks.

I especially love that last one, SS! Super cool. Great use of white space. It really helps to catch attention and to move the eye effectively over the poster. I also think it provides just enough information to get someone to come to the site.

One idea: Because so many of our posters say that they've pretty much stopped smiling before they come here, I wonder if it would be worth adding a line something like, "We can help you smile again."

I have one more idea that you can take or leave. At the top part of the poster where you talk about fear, would it be worth replacing the smilie face with one that looks really nervous...maybe with sweat popping off of it or something. I think that's something that people would identify with. Then, at the bottom, where you talk about the help that's available, you could put one of the happy smilies. (I really like the thumbs-up one.)

Wow. Those are some great posters, folks.

I especially love that last one, SS! Super cool. Great use of white space. It really helps to catch attention and to move the eye effectively over the poster. I also think it provides just enough information to get someone to come to the site.

One idea: Because so many of our posters say that they've pretty much stopped smiling before they come here, I wonder if it would be worth adding a line something like, "We can help you smile again."

I have one more idea that you can take or leave. At the top part of the poster where you talk about fear, would it be worth replacing the smilie face with one that looks really nervous...maybe with sweat popping off of it or something. I think that's something that people would identify with. Then, at the bottom, where you talk about the help that's available, you could put one of the happy smilies. (I really like the thumbs-up one.)

Like it too SS...agree with Vicki's comments on changing the smilies...
'We can help you smile again' is also good so long as it doesn't put people in mind of the those cosmetic websites: 'what would you like to change about your smile?'

I had the same thought as Brit - would it maybe be too reminiscent of cosmetic dentistry ads?

I've attached some smilies which the other Vicki made :)

Attachments

• shock.gif
    shock.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 1
  • scared.gif
    scared.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1
  • frightened.gif
    frightened.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
Your message just came through Vic4ia as I was on yet another one - my last for tonight. Didnt change the wording, but had already changed the smilies. Hope you like. Got to move on now to write up some exercises for my classes tomorrow - desktop publishing in the morning where I'm going to get them to design a poster advertising a new text processing course I'm trying to get started, and then for my advanced students in the afternoon, a PowerPoint presentation.

Attachments

• dental poster3 landscape.jpg
    dental poster3 landscape.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 12
Love this one with the banner down the side...I think some might find the dinosaur scary so best not have it too in your face.
Is there a less manic looking smiling smiley you could use...it looks as if it's high on nitrous! :ROFLMAO:

I like Vicki's middle smiley for scared/sweating etc for the top one.

Back